UKC

No Adobe Photoshop CS7 Creative Suite just the Cloud Petition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Garbhanach 11 Oct 2013
Adobe has no plans to release a Creative Suite 7 so Photoshop CS6 is the last edition and the Cloud is going to be a more expensive application.
I wish they would continue with a CS7 Creative Suite and the Cloud for those that want that option.

change.org are running a petition.

The following is from their web site.

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-ma...

Development of Adobe Creative Suite 7, and all plans of future creative suites have been discontinued. The only option going forward will be the Creative Cloud (CC) subscription model.

You should support this petition because Adobe is making their already expensive products even more expensive in the long run. Adobe is robbing small business, freelancers, and the average consumer. They do not seem to understand that every company is a not multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation that has an infinite amount of resources.

In the end it comes down to this: all of Adobe's consumers will not be able to make such a large payment every month on the CC subscription model. In the short term, the subscription model looks to be okay, but over time the only entity that is benefiting from this is Adobe. The (no longer) current model: paying a one time fee for infinite access is a much better business model and is better for the consumer.
 Dan Lane 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

That link appears to go nowhere...
 Richard Carter 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

"Adobe is robbing small business, freelancers, and the average consumer. They do not seem to understand that every company is a not multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation that has an infinite amount of resources."

That's ridiculous. There are many alternatives to Adobe CS7, why not use one of them?
 london_huddy 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

I'm afraid that you're rather swimming against the current. Adobe have made very clear that Lightroom 5 is about the last thing that they'll sell as standalone, everything else is will use software as a service as the delivery model.

There are up upsides - near instant upgrades and updates and access to wider CS suite for instance - it's not all bad news.

Having said that, I'd far rather buy software than rent it but I've come to terms with it because I don't have a choice if I want to stay with Adobe. If you (not necessarily the OP) don't like it - follow Richard's advice and find an alternative.
OP Garbhanach 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: Thanks link will not load keeps getting cut

www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-reconsider-creative-cloud-subscriptio...

Snax 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach: Why do you need to set up a partition..? Adobe aren't robbing or ripping anyone off... They have changed the way you buy their software from them, that's all... If you don't like it, that's fine... use different software...

People have been robbing from Adobe for years and now they have finally done something about it, people are getting upset. Perhaps if people had been a little more honest over the last decade then we wouldn't be in this situation now. Maybe Software would have been cheaper all round... Or maybe not...?

Personally I don't think the subscription method is a bad thing... I see it like renting my studio or house... I don't own either, If Is top paying the rent, I will be forced to move out... But that's fine, as I don't want the overheads of owning either a studio or a house....
In reply to Richard Carter:
> (In reply to Garbhanach)
>
> "Adobe is robbing small business, freelancers, and the average consumer. They do not seem to understand that every company is a not multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation that has an infinite amount of resources."
>
> That's ridiculous. There are many alternatives to Adobe CS7, why not use one of them?

The plugins I have purchased from Redgiant and Video Copilot (not cheap) will only work with Adobe After Effects and Photoshop.

In reply to Snax:
> (In reply to Garbhanach) Why do you need to set up a partition..? Adobe aren't robbing or ripping anyone off... They have changed the way you buy their software from them, that's all... If you don't like it, that's fine... use different software...
>
> People have been robbing from Adobe for years and now they have finally done something about it, people are getting upset. Perhaps if people had been a little more honest over the last decade then we wouldn't be in this situation now. Maybe Software would have been cheaper all round... Or maybe not...?
>
> Personally I don't think the subscription method is a bad thing... I see it like renting my studio or house... I don't own either, If Is top paying the rent, I will be forced to move out... But that's fine, as I don't want the overheads of owning either a studio or a house....

The petitions are not mine they have been set up by other Adobe users who totally disagree with your views, I have never cheated on Adobe why should I have to pay for other peoples dishonesty, you may have the resources to pay for Creative Cloud I don't and I have plugins from Redgiant and Video Copilot that require Adobe After Effects and Photoshop so I cannot use different software.
In reply to Snax:
> Personally I don't think the subscription method is a bad thing... I see it like renting my studio or house... I don't own either, If Is top paying the rent, I will be forced to move out... But that's fine, as I don't want the overheads of owning either a studio or a house....

Say we compare your studio contents and Adobe cloud files, with the cloud you cannot remove them and if you stop paying the subscripion you loose access, you may not own your studio but at least you can walk away with your work if you want to move.

The following is from this web site
http://fstoppers.com/why-you-should-hate-adobes-creative-cloud

After paying for the subscription for years, in the end you have nothing to show for that investment.

Let’s say you buy the software subscription today and continue for the next three years. That’s a large investment, and in the end you’ll have spent a couple grand and have nothing to show for it. That’s an uncomfortable thought.

4) You won’t have access to your own files if you end your subscription.

We create thousands of gigabytes of data yearly, much of this data saved as Adobe proprietary file types. You stop paying a monthly fee, you can’t access those files. In the past, at least you could open them without fear, even if the software was outdated. Now? Not the case. You pay, or you lose your process. What that comes down to is there is no way to really exit from Adobe. You’re, again, trapped.

UPDATE: For those of you who misunderstand point 4, it has nothing to do with the end files you make, but everything to do with the proprietary formats like .psd or .ai. You can’t open those files without Adobe programs. That’s the issue.

I think the biggest mistake Adobe has made thus far is ignoring that group that only wants one piece of the software and not the whole suite. There are a lot of creatives who buy software and keep it forever. For them, the CC is exorbitantly more expensive. It’s a really tough situation and one where, amongst the folks I’ve talked about this with, we think Adobe is really missing the mark. There are a lot of angry people out there because people hate feeling forced into things they don’t want. They can’t invest. That’s the real issue.

What other reasons can you think of to dislike the new Adobe Creative Cloud? Will any of you defend it?
 Solaris 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

I'm not sure what I think about this, not least because I don't know how it'll affect amateurs like me. But I know one firm that uses a lot of Adobe products, it employs over 100 people, and they have told Adobe that they can't work with Creative Cloud because they have to work in places where there isn't any internet access. They are going over to different software.
 ebygomm 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

> UPDATE: For those of you who misunderstand point 4, it has nothing to do with the end files you make, but everything to do with the proprietary formats like .psd or .ai. You can’t open those files without Adobe programs.
Inkscape will open .ai files
In reply to Solaris: Yes good point I read about a guy who was asked to reactivate his Premier Pro and couldn't use it untill he got back to an internet contact some weeks later.

Another potential problem is what hardware adobe is going to run Creative Cloud for, will you have to upgrade your computer whenever CC changes their format.
In reply to Garbhanach:
> I think the biggest mistake Adobe has made thus far is ignoring that group that only wants one piece of the software and not the whole suite.

You can just have individual applications, in fact for us (UKC/ROCKFAX) PhotoShop and InDesign would do and that is cheaper than the whole CC thing. Still more expensive than I had been paying in the past, but it isn't a full tie-in as you suggest.

I tend to agree with the comments that we (software users) have only got ourselves to blame for this. People have been ripping off software for years and, even if you haven't, it is the way of every business that the honest ones carry the can for the dishonest ones - think insurance policies. Whether that is right or not is another matter, but it is a fact that is not unique to Adobe and other software. In fact the retail prices for years have always penalised those who pay for it as opposed to those who get it from some Russian ftp site, so it isn't even a new thing.

I do think that Adobe have their costing very high on this one though. I reckon a lower price would have probably done very well for them in the long run. As it is there will be cracked versions of Photoshop on those Russian ftp sites before you know it anyway.

Apple have done very well in this respect making all their own-brand apps so cheap that you tend to just buy them.

Alan
In reply to Garbhanach:

... and Photoshop plus Lightroom is £8.78/month

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom?sdid=JRSIX&s...

So just over £100/year which ain't that bad really considering how much photographers spend on cameras. At least they have the cameras at the end of it though, before anyone else says it.

Alan
 Dan Lane 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

My main complaint is that you need an internet connection for it to work...how much use is that to a traveling photographer living out of his van?
 JR 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> [...]
>
>
> I do think that Adobe have their costing very high on this one though. I reckon a lower price would have probably done very well for them in the long run. As it is there will be cracked versions of Photoshop on those Russian ftp sites before you know it anyway.
>

It won't be long at all seeing as their source code got hacked last week along with 2.9 million customers data, also expect to see some flaws in the existing software exploited: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2054160/adobes-source-code-was-parked-on-hac...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:
>
> My main complaint is that you need an internet connection for it to work...how much use is that to a traveling photographer living out of his van?

Are you sure that's the case? I got the impression the software resides on your 'pooter and updates when you get a connection the way that DropBox does?

Chris
In reply to Dan Lane:
> My main complaint is that you need an internet connection for it to work...how much use is that to a traveling photographer living out of his van?

It checks in every day but will work for 30 days without an internet connection before blocking you. Not great if you are away for a long period.

Alan
 JR 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

You must have 3G dan...?
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: I run Photoshop, Lightroom, Premier Pro, After Effects and Encore
which would cost about £560 for 12 months they are doing a cheaper introductory for existing CS users but even then I am running Vista and they are saying windows 7-8.
I usually upgrade the suite about every three years which would be about £370.00 so CC is a big jump in costs for me.

The part you quoted about was from an aticle on another web page by someone else to which there was a link.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

I just wasted 15 mins trying to find the cost of the CS5 > CS6 upgrade, but gave up in the end - hopeless. And they spelled Photography wrong on the home page!

Chris
 Snax 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: You don't need an internet connection to make it work at all... You download the apps you want onto your harddrive and run them from there just as you always have. You will need to connect once every 30 days to confirm payment, however if you can't do this you can continue to use CC for 99 days before they will stop working...
 Snax 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach: I have CS2 sat in a box, it cost several hundred pounds, I have CS4 sat in a box, it cost even more... I have nothing to show for both these investments, as technology has moved on. But I do have all the files I created with them, which have helped put me where I am today.

"After paying for the subscription for years, in the end you have nothing to show for that investment." The same can be said for most purchases once the product becomes defunct... However I would argue that I have used their software to produce stunning images which have in turn paid for me to be able to use their products, without which my images wouldn't have looked have as good...

4) You won’t have access to your own files if you end your subscription. - Yes you will, although if the only place you store your work is in CC then you might be a bit dumb as that's only one digital copy... You still have the files on your home drives/NAS or whatever you use.

If you don't like CC you don't have to use it... CS5/6 is still absolutely amazing and more than most people need. Keep your copy of that, continue using it and you will always be able to do the things you want to your files... No matter what... So long as you keep a computer old enough to run it on...

I can think of loads of reasons to dislike Adobe and CC, but I can also see loads of reasons to like them... I try to be positive in life... it makes me smile more..
In reply to Garbhanach:

Switch to Corel. Their latest versions are genuine competitors to CS.
 Dan Lane 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Garbhanach:

hmmm, ok, maybe it's not as bad as I thought. I still don't think this should be the only way of getting adobe software though...
In reply to Snax: I moved through the different versions of Photoshop as well and those earlier versions got me upgrades at a cheaper rate in the end I have CS5.5 Creative Suite to show for my investment, CC subscribers pay higher rates and walk away with nothing.

If Adobe walk away from Creative suite subscribers with little protest then other companies will probably try the same and we will be paying all sorts of high monthly payments to keep programmes and computers running.

Most professionals will probably be glad that the high costs of CC will keep any creative learners or competition out of the business.

4) You won’t have access to your own files if you end your subscription. - Yes you will you say.
Not unless you have an adobe programme or some illegal download to open adobe files like PSD.
You say I can think of loads of reasons to dislike Adobe, well me to and I try to keep a sensible and positive attitude which is why I want to complain to Adobe and not let them walk over me and a lot of other non professional creatives that are hopeing for a positive response from Adobe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...