UKC

Winter Fleece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Im looking to buy an new winter fleece for mountaineering. I am looking to spend upto £150. I appreciate that a lot is down to personal preference and feel when wearing it, ie hood or no hood, softshell or normal fleece....

Has anyone got any good advice or bought a jacket they thought was worth a look or outstanding?
 The New NickB 11 Oct 2013
In reply to markharratt:

Are you looking for warmth? Get a primaloft top, weight dependant on intended use. Only use I would have for fleece in winter these days for mountaineering would be as a thin booster layer.
almost sane 11 Oct 2013
In reply to markharratt:

I got a (now no longer made) Berghaus hooded fleece in a gridded fleece fabric. Very warm for the weight. I would thoroughly recommend that gridded fabric, thoroughly recommend a hooded fleece, and thoroughly recommend getting something that fits snug.

We are all different shapes, so I suggest you go down to the shops and try out a variety and see what works best.

btw, my second favourite winter "fleece" is in fact a M&S acrylic knitted sweater. Warm, close fitting, wicking, fast-drying.
 neuromancer 11 Oct 2013
In reply to markharratt:

MEC t3 hybrid hoodie
or
Patagonia R1

Or if you can find it, a Blackhawk Warrior Wear Zip Hoodie - a military copy of an R1 with stretch panels under arms, lots cheaper and very, very good.
In reply to The New NickB:
I have a Rab Generator Stretch pertex for stops and really cold days. I have normally been warm enough in a Scott Winter hoolie wearing a HH merino, TNF TKA100 fleece and ME goretex.
Its just the fleece is getting old and holier thus needing an upgrade
 Paul Atkinson 11 Oct 2013
In reply to markharratt: in true UKC style I'm going to recommend something that is neither a fleece nor within your stated budget
I love my Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody so much. It's warmer than fleece weight for weight, much more windproof, better when wet, cut beautifully (athletic fit), packs in it's own pocket. I use it for all sorts from cold weather rock climbing and walking to winter mountaineering, ski touring, emergency layer for winter fell running and mountain marathons - my wife has to beat me about the head and neck to stop me wearing it to work.
A bit above your budget but worth every penny and beats the hell out of any fleece IMHO

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-nano-puff-hoody?p=84221-0-500

P
 The New NickB 11 Oct 2013
In reply to markharratt:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> I have a Rab Generator Stretch pertex for stops and really cold days. I have normally been warm enough in a Scott Winter hoolie wearing a HH merino, TNF TKA100 fleece and ME goretex.
> Its just the fleece is getting old and holier thus needing an upgrade

I'd go with an R1 hoody then, fits me well and is warm enough for me. Major caviat being we are all different.
 galpinos 11 Oct 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to markharratt)
>
> MEC t3 hybrid hoodie
> or
> Patagonia R1

Or.....the ME Eclipse Hooded Tee. Better hood than the R1 (i have both) lovely fit and fabric.

galpinos 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

> I love my Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody so much.

Primaloft is very good for lots of things but isn't very breathable so if you run hot, makes a poor choice if you intend wearing it under a shell.

> A bit above your budget but worth every penny and beats the hell out of any fleece IMHO

For lots of things but not for active insulation imo.

martinph78 11 Oct 2013
In reply to galpinos: I was going to reply along similar lines.

To the OP - have you looked at the Montane Volt?
 cliff shasby 11 Oct 2013
In reply to galpinos: how can primaloft not be breathable..?,i would have thought the fact that it is lofted fibers with air inbetween makes it breathable by default..?,sure the outer fabric could be like a plastic bag..!
 mattrm 11 Oct 2013
In reply to markharratt:

Patagonia R1 Hoody if you want a fleece.

Either Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody / Jottnar Alfar / Rab Strata - if you want an active synthetic mid-layer.
 Paul Atkinson 11 Oct 2013
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to Paul Atkinson)
>
> [...]
>
> Primaloft is very good for lots of things but isn't very breathable so if you run hot, makes a poor choice if you intend wearing it under a shell.
>
> [...]
>
> For lots of things but not for active insulation imo.

depends how fit you are I guess

BnB 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mattrm:
> (In reply to markharratt)
>
> Patagonia R1 Hoody if you want a fleece.
>
> Either Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody / Jottnar Alfar / Rab Strata - if you want an active synthetic mid-layer.

I wore my new Rab Strata all day on the Ideal Slabs today staying perfectly warm on the belay, comfortable and dry when generating hear on the climbs. First impressions are very positive indeed. It seems to have a very wide operating range. And looks good to boot.
 neuromancer 12 Oct 2013
In reply to galpinos:

But not as warm or breathable.
 climber34neil 12 Oct 2013
In reply to markharratt: maybe decide if you want if just as a fleece or as an outer garment when its a bit warmer to then as already stated there are loads of fabrics etc to choose from, I have a mammut kala patar which is similar to pat r1 which I wear with a soft shell on top which does for most winter stuff, then a belay jacket for hanging around
 Timmd 13 Oct 2013
In reply to cliff shasby:
> (In reply to galpinos) how can primaloft not be breathable..?,i would have thought the fact that it is lofted fibers with air inbetween makes it breathable by default..?,sure the outer fabric could be like a plastic bag..!

At a guess, it's the garments themselves with primaloft as the insulation which tend to be less breathable than fleeces?
 angry pirate 13 Oct 2013
If you can get it, the Mountain Equipment Shroud is decent for climbing.
Surprisingly warm for 100 weight fleece, pockets that don't interfere with a harness, powerstretch panels and monkey sleeves for excellent reach and a hood.
Mine is ace as a layer for winter climbing. In fact, I tend to "save" it for climbing rather than trash it for walking, casual etc.
It's about as much as I'd want to spend in a fleece too at eighty quid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...