UKC

Simple, user friendly CAD software?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mwr72 11 Oct 2013
And by simple I mean as easy to use as Sketchup.
I can't use Sketchup as it doesn't save as a .DFX file
I'm currently in the process of designing a CNC router, and a good way for me to learn a simple CAD program is to recreate the design in a suitable CAD suite. (I have already drawn a design in Sketchup).

Recommendations please.
 Jack B 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72:

You got a budget? I like Solid Edge, but it's bloody expensive.
OP mwr72 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Jack B:
> (In reply to mwr72)
>
> You got a budget? I like Solid Edge, but it's bloody expensive.

Yes, I have a budget...£0.00 haha. Seriously though, the budget is all for the machine and peripherals, so preferably free. I have tried Draftsight but really haven't got a clue what I'm doing on there!
 Mark Morris 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72: Autodesk Inventor is available as a student download, if someone in the house is a student obviously. I've found it easier to use than anything else, inc. sketchup.
OP mwr72 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

Thanks, Unfortunately neither of us are students
OP mwr72 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72:

I intend to start on something simple like nameplates just to get used to the machine and software, then gradually progress onto more complex items as I learn.
 Mark Morris 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72: You might find the download works just the same.
Removed User 12 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72:

There seem to be a few free 2D packages here: http://sourceforge.net/directory/development/data-formats/autocaddxf/os:win...

Haven't tried any of them.

There also seems to be siftware around for translating Sketchup files into DXF format: http://sketchupplugins.com/plugins/convert-sketchup-skp-files-to-dxf-or-stl...

johnj 12 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72:

I don't think you really have much choice in the matter, after spending a lot of hours on solidworks in the commercial world, I found myself needing some cad software for personal use, I've downloaded a lot of these free programs and they are just so clunky simple tasks are very difficult. For what it's worth I think draftsight is about as good as it gets for free, you've just got to spend some time on it learning how it works.
OP mwr72 18 Oct 2013
In reply to All:

Thank you for your suggestions.

It is specifically 3D software I need, so will have a look at some of the suggestions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...