/ Simple, user friendly CAD software?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mwr72 - on 11 Oct 2013
And by simple I mean as easy to use as Sketchup.
I can't use Sketchup as it doesn't save as a .DFX file
I'm currently in the process of designing a CNC router, and a good way for me to learn a simple CAD program is to recreate the design in a suitable CAD suite. (I have already drawn a design in Sketchup).

Recommendations please.
Jack B on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72:

You got a budget? I like Solid Edge, but it's bloody expensive.
David Riley - on 11 Oct 2013
mwr72 - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Jack B:
> (In reply to mwr72)
>
> You got a budget? I like Solid Edge, but it's bloody expensive.

Yes, I have a budget...0.00 haha. Seriously though, the budget is all for the machine and peripherals, so preferably free. I have tried Draftsight but really haven't got a clue what I'm doing on there!
Mark Morris - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72: Autodesk Inventor is available as a student download, if someone in the house is a student obviously. I've found it easier to use than anything else, inc. sketchup.
mwr72 - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

Thanks, Unfortunately neither of us are students :(
mwr72 - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72:

I intend to start on something simple like nameplates just to get used to the machine and software, then gradually progress onto more complex items as I learn.
Mark Morris - on 11 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72: You might find the download works just the same.
Eric9Points - on 12 Oct 2013
In reply to mwr72:

There seem to be a few free 2D packages here: http://sourceforge.net/directory/development/data-formats/autocaddxf/os:windows/freshness:recently-u...

Haven't tried any of them.

There also seems to be siftware around for translating Sketchup files into DXF format: http://sketchupplugins.com/plugins/convert-sketchup-skp-files-to-dxf-or-stl/

johnj on 12 Oct 2013 - 86.112.78.158 whois?
In reply to mwr72:

I don't think you really have much choice in the matter, after spending a lot of hours on solidworks in the commercial world, I found myself needing some cad software for personal use, I've downloaded a lot of these free programs and they are just so clunky simple tasks are very difficult. For what it's worth I think draftsight is about as good as it gets for free, you've just got to spend some time on it learning how it works.
ads.ukclimbing.com
mwr72 - on 18 Oct 2013
In reply to All:

Thank you for your suggestions.

It is specifically 3D software I need, so will have a look at some of the suggestions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.