UKC

Proof of ownership of bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 13 Oct 2013
How do you prove ownership of a stolen bike to police? When you do not have the frame number or pbotos?

Proof enough to get off someone who will deny bike stolen?
 stewieatb 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Is there anything unique about the bike which you couldn't otherwise know (eg. from Ebay photos)? Crash scratches, stickers, marks in strange places, a unique part you added?
In reply to Flinticus: Bank statement or credit card statement from when you bought it? Some of the paperwork from when you bought it? Receipt?
 Alex Slipchuk 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: quote the gear ratios and show some pics.
 tim000 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: DNA from the sweat on the bar tape
OP Flinticus 13 Oct 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
I have that but it only proves a bought a bike of that model. Not the particular bike.

I'm thonking of pretty conclusive proof to counter argument otherwise.
 gethin_allen 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Where did you get the bike from? Some shops record the frame numbers of bikes they sell on their invoices.
OP Flinticus 13 Oct 2013
In replyO to gethin_allen: I know. But not the shop I got mine from!
Richard Greasby 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: can you explain how you know it's yours? Also, did you report the original theft?
OP Flinticus 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Richard Greasby:
Reported. Yes. Only about 10 of the bikes sold in Glasgow and it has the Kenda Happy Medium tyre I fitted to the back.
Richard Greasby 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: pretty straightforward then. Contact the police. Tell them where you stolen bike is and ask them to act on it. If you know where it is, and where the offender/suspect is, should justify a 'fairly' quick response. Depending on whether you've already given a statement to police or not, probably not but I don't know the circumstances of the theft, make sure it contains important identification facts. The suspect will then have to explain all the facts of where they've got it from. If they own it legitimately they will know all the facts. If they've purchased it innocently second hand (cos it's the nicked one) it's not your problem. The bike would be returned to you and any loss is their problem. Make sense?
Richard Greasby 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: how did you get on then?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...