Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Hard shell (skiing + mountaineering)

theriel - on 13 Oct 2013
Hello,
Having reviewed dozens of threads... I am afraid I still no nothing! Hence my little request for help.

My plans are taking me skiing this winter, and to an mountaineering course in Chamonix next summer.

I currently have:
->Base Layer: Ice breaker 200, Capilene 1 et al.
->Patagonia R1 Pullover
->Arc'Teryx Atom LT (beautiful piece of gear!)

What I am missing, obviously, is the hard shell jacket and trousers, which could serve me well both while skiing and mountaineering.

From the numerous reviews I have read it seems like Arc'teryx Alpha SV is the leader here. Unfortunately, their S size is a bit too big and they don't do XS for men... Also, I am not sure if paying 1000 GBP for a set makes sense, especially given that I am an intermediater skiier and a beginner in alpinism - thus it is likely I will destroy it relatively quickly. I can technically afford it, but I cannot justify the expense to myself.

Thus... what would you recommend? What are the other hard-shells worth looking at?

My little research has resulted in the following suggestions:
----Mountain Equipment Tupilak (Gore Tex Pro Shell)
----RAB Latok (eVent)
----Montane Endurance (eVent)
----Rab Stretch Neo (Polartec NeoShell)

Do you know anything about them? How do they compare?

Also - what would be the best option: salopettes/bibs or trousers, given that I want to use them both for skiing and mountaineering?

Thank you all for your kind help!
... not showing 8 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums