Starting Out forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Top rope setup Qs - static rope or extending slings

badgerjockey - on 13 Oct 2013
Ello,

Could of questions that I can't find answers to just by googling so hoped you'd be able to help out.

Top roping at Cheesewring in Cornwall recently, most of the anchors I found were located at least 5m, sometimes up to 10m back from the top of the crags we were on.

I know that the master karabiners at the top should be over the edge to prevent excess rope wear but getting them there with my gear was difficult.

Can you tell me if adding in sling after sling after sling connected by karabiners/QDs in order to extend the master karabiners over the edge is dangerous in anyway? I have a cordelette and a load of 120cm or 240m slings so I literally daisy chained them several meters to the edge.

How do you normally tackle this? Would you take a 20/30m bit of static rope and use that in stead?

Also, is there any way you could realistically rig a top rope and equalised anchors (on a short <10m crag) using just one long rope?

Cheers,
H
... not showing 18 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums