UKC

Scarpa Manta and Yeti Gaiter combo .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SethChili 13 Oct 2013
After spending last winter plodding around in my battered karrimor ksb's and microspikes I decided to get my self kitted out with some real winter boots this year . I've noticed that most of the main retailers are trying to get rid of the leather Scarpa Mantas as they have been replaced with the Manta Pro gtx . I have a few questions :
How warm are the Mantas , as they don't have additional insulation ?
Are they compatible with berghaus yeti gaiters for total waterproofing ?
How capable are they for real 'climbing' on snow and ice with crampons ?
Is the weight a real disadvantage compared with lighter boots like La Sportiva trango extreme evo light ?

Thanks
In reply to SethChili:
I have manta's and used them in full Scottish hoolie. I used tab gaiters and not had any probs. with good socks they're great. I climb Scottish winter III in them no bother. Not had any problems at all
 IPPurewater 13 Oct 2013
In reply to SethChili: I've used them down to -28C in Finland. My feet got cold after 40 minutes or so, with two pairs of thick socks on.

I've had no coldness issues when I've used them in Scotland in winter though.

I've used Yeti gaiters on them. Tip, glue the Yetis in place with some dabs of rubber solution (Evostick etc) around the toe area to stop them peeling off when you kick steps.

Ian
 Jerry67 13 Oct 2013
In reply to SethChili: I've used them in Scotland and the Alps and have had no problem with cold feet. Just make sure you don't try and use them with rigid crampons!
Jerry
 Pete Pozman 21 Oct 2013
In reply to SethChili: I always thought the Yetis were designed to be used with Scarpas
 alooker 21 Oct 2013
In reply to SethChili: I've got some mantas for sale (euro 43), let me know if you're interested.
 Sash 21 Oct 2013
In reply to SethChili:

I use "old-style" Mantas in the UK in inter, in the Alps, and even for a trip to Rjukan.
They have been fine for all of those uses, and are nice warm boots, as well as being perfectly comfy for long approaches.
Jerry67 is correct about the risk if using them with fully rigid crampons, but mine take clip-in "normal" crampons very well, and can certainly cope with steep ice.
Good boots, IMO, and certainly worth picking up while they are being discounted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...