UKC

Wipers Times

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 13 Oct 2013
Couldn't find a comment on here. Recorded this a while back and just watched it: really rather good if maybe a tad gently done (even WW1 gets rose tinted edges to dial down the blackness?). It's a true story of the discovery of a small printing press in the ruins of Ypres early in the war and its subsequent use to produce a series of satirical rags that poked fun at the establishemnt, but was tolerated (especially by Micheal Palin's cameo as a general) in order to retain morale.
 Only a hill 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
I really enjoyed this. Personally I thought the more upbeat, gentler (if you like) approach was incredibly refreshing in the face of an increasingly clichéd WWI fiction landscape which peddles the same tired stereotypes again and again. I think this was the first genuinely original piece of WWI fiction I've seen in quite a while.
 DerwentDiluted 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
My other forum of choice is the Great war forum, this was highly praised there as being a very good story well told, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommended.
 Rubbishy 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

I agree -it was rather good and went against the usual accepted narrative (that is about 75% wrong anyway).
OP Offwidth 14 Oct 2013
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I thought this was a great war forum??

Anyone out there under 30 that liked it???
 Only a hill 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
Oi, I'm under 30
OP Offwidth 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Profuse appologies... you just come over as being so wise . I was just wondering if good TV is becoming a generation thing, like music (with honerable exceptions)
 Trangia 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I've got the complete set of the Wipers Times. Excellent and very funny reading.

I like the correspondence columns with comments about the noisy neighbours to the east, and the complaint to the Ypres Borough Surveyor about the appalling state of the Menin Road being full of pot holes.
OP Offwidth 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia:

They need to be on an elctronic archive so everyone can see.
 JohnnyW 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Not under 30 I'm afraid, in fact pushing the Big 50, but I thought it was very good too. I hardly watch TV these days as I find it either too banal or too graphic, but having stumbled upon this, I was refreshed.
 Simon Caldwell 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia:
Presumably not the originals, or you wouldn't want to risk reading them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...