/ Lightweight down jackets - what do you use them for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pawelx - on 14 Oct 2013
Iíve been looking at some of the lightweight (250-350 grams), hydrophobic down jackets. The likes of Rab Microlight Alpine, Berghaus Ilam (my favourite so far), Arcteryx Cerium.
To be honest Iím still undecided whether Iíd like one of those, or a more heavyweight warmer jacket. Iíd be using it for most of my alpine climbing, both summer and winter.

What do people normally use these for?
(1) I thought this could be a nice option for midlayer in the winter, but isnít the quality of insulation affected if the down is squashed under the hard shell?
(2) For belay jacket / emergency bivvy jacket, will it be warm enough?
SteveoS - on 14 Oct 2013
In reply to pawelx:

Pub.
George Ormerod - on 14 Oct 2013
In reply to pawelx:

Erm, skiing, winter climbing, rock climbing when it's cold, camping in the summer..... Basically anytime you need more warmth, but a bigger down jacket would be overkill (i.e. anytime you're moving!).
pawelx - on 14 Oct 2013
In reply to SteveoS: well that's what a friend of mine said to me! i.e. if you need the warmth, go for the full-weight down jacket, not one of the "micro" options which in his opinion are only good for around town.
Axel Smeets - on 14 Oct 2013
In reply to pawelx:

Watching third tier English football on cold winter nights. One of the coldest experiences known to man.
In reply to pawelx:
> go for the full-weight down jacket, not one of the "micro" options

What does full weight mean though?

One thing is the construction method - stitched through down jackets can feel great on cold days when there is now wind, but add in a bit of wind and you can soon feel where the stitching is, but put them under something and that issue goes away to a great extent. I think all (?) of the micro baffled jackets are stitched through - it would so complicated to make them box walled - and that I think makes them more suited to either mid-layers or less full on use. But then again something is normally a lot better than nothing! I used the basic North Face Nuptse as my only belay jacket for years and it did excellent service - not as good as a modern belay jacket but a lot better than nothing!
pawelx - on 14 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA: thanks for the reply. Full weigth would mean Berghaus Ramche , or Rab Infinity Endurance
Basically a 850 fill down jacket weighing around 500-700g..

Joe Choppen - on 14 Oct 2013
In reply to pawelx:

I am currently selling this years Rab Microlight Jacket - worn once but I have decided to sell it. In a size Large and in the Grey and Orange colour scheme.

The cheapest you'll find it is around £150 for the 2013 model. I am selling for £90+postage if you're interested.

It's a very warm jacket. Would work perfectly for what your after.

In regards to it being squished by a hardshell I have had no problems with it.

Drop me an email ( josephchoppen@live.co.uk ) if you're interested. Happy to send pictures.
alasdair19 on 14 Oct 2013
In reply to pawelx: i uses an early patagonia light one as my summer bivvy jacket. combined with a good forecast and a blizzard bag it worked on decent routes. not convinced by them as an active layer but I suspect I'm just a bit too sweaty/run too hot.

hydrophobic sounds like fantasy to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.