UKC

Deer stalk free areas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 14 Oct 2013
Hi.
Another thread commented on the difficulty of getting info on estate's stalking plans.

Are there any areas where stalking doesn't take place? Somewhere I can go in the next few days and not worry about frightening deer, or getting shot, with my free roaming ways and my dog.
 Milesy 14 Oct 2013
Glen Coe hills are usually a safe bet from the Glen Coe side.
 Mike-W-99 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
A fair bit of the cairngorms.
Rhum.
ccmm 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: Creag Meagaidh fits the bill.

No estate runs commercial stalking on a Sunday.
OP Flinticus 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
All good ideas: fancy a bothy in the Cairngorms.

While Glen Coe is would be ideal, I've a few days off so would be looking to go further afield.

Any clue on Ardgour and all that region south of the Road to the Isles? Done several walks in there in Spring and love the area. Doesn't look like prime stalking land.
 Lankyman 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus: the Torridon estate (NTS) doesn't stalk deer I think.
 Mike-W-99 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Ardgour is very big on stalking but I have contact details for a few of the estates.
Will email them to you later.
 ScraggyGoat 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

Area south of the Road to the Isles is stalked, and you will note don't sign-up to 'heading for the hills'. I had to back-off from the hill I wanted to wander up on Friday, having come across evidence of two stalks in progress.
OP Flinticus 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
Thanks a lot.

Keeping all options open still as off Thursday / Friday and seeing what the weather holds.

Is stalking big down at the west end of Loch Arkaig? Never been down that way so, if the weather looks promising, its tempting.
 Mike-W-99 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
Loch Arkaig - big on stalking too although they do at least provide contact details etc
http://www.glendessary.info/
 ScraggyGoat 15 Oct 2013
Loch Arkaig - walked there before in stalking season (albeit at weekends). If you keep to the main glens, ridge lines and munros you will probably not be affecting the stalk as the estate will be anticipating that people will be on those routes, and planning acordingly. Best to phone and ask.
OP Flinticus 15 Oct 2013
In reply to ScraggyGoat:
Thanks. Not planning any munros but the corbetts.

Does this estate also own the land on Froach Bheinn (corbett north of Strathan) and Sgurr Mhurlagain (just east of Strathan). I note the map the estate provides misses out this area and larges focuses on the munros.
 ScraggyGoat 15 Oct 2013
I don't know who owns that land. The side glens on both sides of Froach Bheinn commonly have evidence of repeated arga-cat activity from Dessary.....suggesting these are often stalked, and potentially owned by Dessary estate. So you'll have to pick up the phone.
OP Flinticus 15 Oct 2013
In reply to ScraggyGoat:
Phoned: they'd rather I didn't go.

Its difficult to find who manages / owns what land. Most estate webaite do not give a map!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...