UKC

Mallorca; possible access problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pamph 14 Oct 2013
I have just returned from a few days sport climbing in Mallorca and we went to do some easy routes in the Puig de Garrafa, the 'Sector Solarium' area. At the top of the path before the descent to the crag two new signs have been erected, one designating the area as a site for hunting, and the other saying 'no climbing' (but in Spanish). We decided to ignore them and did a grade 4 route, Dimension Paralala'. We noticed the lack of chalk on the route, which given its ease of access and low grade, was a bit surprising, so maybe the signs are being reinforced by the landowner. Deciding that discretion was the better option, we left to go elsewhere. Just a warning for anyone going to that area that there may be problems!
 Darron 15 Oct 2013
In reply to pamph:
I'm there next week - thanks for that.
By the way could you tell me how to access Secter Duck at the same crag please? It's not in my guide. I have visited Solarium before so know the parking and access
Ta v Much!!
OP pamph 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Darron: We just dropped back down the path towards the parking again, until we found another path on the right which lead round to the base of the next set of crags to the north of 'Solarium.' There is a fairly obvious line of paths running along the base of the crags, although there is a point where you can be drawn into a small gully which has a sign saying private at the entrance. Avoid this, although if you do end up following the path into it, it becomes obvious straight away that you are in the wrong place The crags are quite hidden by trees but are all pretty close together, and we had no problems locating Sector Duck. I can't be more specific, as my climbing partner has the guidebook, and he lives 60 miles away so I can't check the crag names to give you definite details.
On another note, we found the grading here to be pretty hard! At least at the 4/5/5+ end.
 Darron 15 Oct 2013
In reply to pamph:

OK - thanks a lot.
 Trangia 15 Oct 2013
In reply to pamph:

Ignore "No Climbing Signs" in Majorca at your peril.

We did when we found a newly painted one at the base of the right hand start to La Gubia Normal. Half way up Pitch 2 we climbed into a wild bees nest! The rope running between us really agitated them forcing us to freeze still for about half an hour until they settled down, and then make an ignominious ab off!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...