UKC

Adapting Grivel Crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Calski 15 Oct 2013
Hi Collective UKC Wisdom...

I have a set of Grivel crampons with the New Classic bindings which don't work terribly well with my ski touring boots. It would be great to change the binding to a New Matic without buying a whole new set of crampons - does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks
Calski
 top cat 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Calski:

If there are holes already drilled to take the wire bail, them yes. Cuf off the posts and fit the bails. 10 min job.

Not so eay if you have to drill the hardened steel: no pre drilled hole ---sell and buy another pair.
 gethin_allen 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Calski:
I think you'll have to sell up and buy new as the new-matic and new-classic front parts are totally different. Also, aren't the new-classic crampons C2 rated and the others C3?
 CurlyStevo 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Calski:
I take it you mean newmatic NOT newclassic as to convert the toe fitting you must have a lever fitting at the rear.
 CurlyStevo 15 Oct 2013
In reply to top cat:
There are not holes already drilled on the G10 / G12/ G14 newmatic / newclassic, well the current models anyways.
 jonnie3430 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Calski:

You want to change the plastic strap at the back to a lever? I don't know if you can, but be careful as the lever at the back of my grivels sits under the pivoting portion of my skiboots, locking them in a forward position. I bought the BD version of the new classic (strap on,) to avoid this.
 CurlyStevo 15 Oct 2013
To All:
Please ignore my replies I misunderstood the post
 jonnie3430 15 Oct 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Calski)
>
> You want to change the plastic strap at the back to a lever? I don't know if you can,

Actually, I do know that if you get in touch with the importer they may be able to take the lever parts at the back off crampons that have been returned for whatever reason. I had a pair of extender bars this way and have returned pairs of crampons in the past.
 lcullum7 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Calski: Yes you can, I have done exactly this on my G12s albeit for winter boots rather than ski touring boots.

I didn't really fancy trying to drill out the rivets that hold the plastic rear cradle on and so I simply cut the rear cradle off as close as possible to the upright each side leaving a slightly less than 2p coin sized piece still attached. The heel levers, which you can buy online for about £12, then just spring into the holes that are pre drilled for them.

I've used my crampons like this for 3 seasons and never had any problems with either the replacement levers or the pieces I've left still attached. You'll also end up with a bonus spare pair of crampon straps as the levers should come with some.

I've think I've got photos somewhere that I took as I was doing it, or I cold easily take some photos of my crampons as they are now. Message me if you'd like me to dig them out for you

Hope that helps
Calski 15 Oct 2013
In reply to everyone:

Many thanks for your guidance - it's just the rear bale I need to put on, so will risk the £12 and give it a shot!

Much appreciated.

C

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...