UKC

Petzl core battery add on - worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MattDTC 15 Oct 2013
Has anyone used the petzl core (rechargable) battery with a tikka xp 2?

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/core-rechargeable-battery

I was wondering if it is worth the £30 invertment, or just sticking with normal batteries. Seems like a nice idea - not throwing out half used batteries all the time.
 climber david 15 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC:

I'm not sure about the finiancial costs/benifits but I've had one for about a year now and I love it. I use it for scout camps so often have a way of charging itsince it charges from usb. I also really like that you can change the profiles from your computer and set it too regulated lighting rather than declining like you get with normal batteries

HTH

David
 alooker 15 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC: yes it is! Makes the unit a touch bulkier but it all feels solid and the charge lasts a good while. If you're concerned about not having a spare you can use disposable batteries by removing the core unit
robatkinson 15 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC: worth it, use it alot, took it travelling all over for a year, just plug wait for the green light and youre away. you can also plug into computer and fiddle with its output and efficiency.

but forgetting that its just brilliant!
MattDTC 15 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC:
Thanks for the replies - I think I might put one on my christmas list!
 Cameron94 15 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC: Yup add it to the list mine must have saved me a fortune in saved battery's.

Alex Slipchuk 16 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC: I think so, you may drop 10 or so lumen in brightness from brand new alkies in full power, but the light is now regulated so it lasts longer. Changing the profile as well means I have enough light on low for winter walk in. Saving full power for dark finishes. Certainly lasts longer.

I do however still prefer rxp, programme it in reverse as starting with low light finishing on high is a better way. Dim doesn't seem bright once you've strobed through high power. If see see what I mean.you cant reverse sett8ngs on xp2. Or at least I can't work out how to
 Flashy 16 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC: It feels to me as though it doesn't last as long as a set of quality batteries like Duracell. But it's lighter and has saved me a fortune. I carry a set of batteries as a backup if I'm out for more than a day.
 The Potato 16 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC: I prefer to buy a pack of Eneloop AAA batteries and just carry the spares in my pocket / bag, they are really light and its much cheaper than the core
 Flashy 16 Oct 2013
In reply to owena: Never heard of those owena. How do they compare to normal rechargeable alkalines? I tried those but found it wasn't worth it because they have such poor life.
 The Potato 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Flashy: I agree alkalines are not great, the best rechargable ones are NiMH, they work better in cold and have higher charge / recharge capacity, the eneloop ones have a long shelf life - meaning you can leave them for nearly a year and they still hold their charge

heres their site

http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-products/eneloop-batteries.html

I have the XX AAA ones for my petzl tikka XP2. I did consider the core, but it is very expensive for a battery, each to their own though.

i bought mine from
http://www.buyabattery.co.uk/sanyo-eneloop-xx-batteries-aaa-hr-4uwxb-4bp-mi...
MattDTC 16 Oct 2013
In reply to The Big Man:

> I do however still prefer rxp, programme it in reverse as starting with low light finishing on high is a better way. Dim doesn't seem bright once you've strobed through high power. If see see what I mean.you cant reverse sett8ngs on xp2. Or at least I can't work out how to

Good point about dim settings first - I always wondered why they don't do that by default.
I assume you mean the new tikka rxp and not the myo rxp - which doesn't take the core battery(?)
 Alex Slipchuk 25 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC: they don't do it by default as, when customers try them in shops, they want the impact of off then bright. As explained by lyon equipment.
 John Kelly 25 Oct 2013
In reply to MattDTC:

Core
used one for a couple of years, initially skeptical
they just work
buy one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...