UKC

Snapping a rear sprocket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 quirky 15 Oct 2013
Anyone ever done this? Broke the 15t sprocket today, went to put the power down near the top of a hill and POP it broke in two!! Campag (veloce i think) never had this happen in all my cycling years!
OP quirky 16 Oct 2013
In reply to quirky: Just me then???
Removed User 16 Oct 2013
In reply to quirky: Youfatknacker. You should be able to swap the individual sprocket out if the rest of the cassette is not too worn?
OP quirky 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User: welded it back together. Will use it on my commuting wheels bought a new one with the money I had put to one side for cake!
Mmmmmmm cake
 balmybaldwin 16 Oct 2013
In reply to quirky:

How many sprockets in your cassette? 10sp/11sp?

I gues this will become more common with the ultra thin sprockets required for 11sp, but never heard of this before.... could be an impurity fault in the metal, or maybe if the cassette lock ring had come loose it allowed it to twist in some way.

I've seen this with chainrings in the past, but in each case it was due to a chainring bolt falling out and not being noticed
 Phil79 16 Oct 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I don't think sprockets for 10/11 speed were any thinner than 9 speed, its just the cassette body is wider? Could be wrong...

Anyway, as you say never heard of this before. Surprised the chain didn't break before the sprocket went. I would think manufacturing fault is likely?
 Phil79 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Phil79:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
>
> I don't think sprockets for 10/11 speed were any thinner than 9 speed, its just the cassette body is wider? Could be wrong...
>

Actually thinking about it, I've got 10/11 speed compatible wheels but running 9 speed with a spacer, which suggest both 10/11 speed fit on the same size free-hub and therefore 11 speed must be thinner sprockets than 10....

Richard Carter 16 Oct 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

11 speed sprockets are the same width as 10 speed aren't they?
OP quirky 16 Oct 2013
In reply to quirky: it is 10speed. No discernable difference between this and my 9 speed sprockets, as said I think the free hub is longer. My theory is empty either lose locking ring or manufacturing fault. There is no tooth damage and no sign of twisting forces, my initial though was that the chain had snapped!!
In reply to Phil79:

Ive got 10 speed veloce on my good bike and 9 speed veloce on my winter hack.

I've replaced cassettes on both bikes and as far as I can see the main difference is the width of the plastic spacers between sprockets.

Never heard of a sprocket snapping - though back in the 60's I have seen some old 6 speed freewheels with very worn teeth! Depending on the make of freewheel, you could buy individual sprockets if you found one or two were getting particularly worn. It was a lot cheaper than having to replace the whole freewheel - particularly if you were relying on a paper round to keep your bike going.

Nowadays you cant generally buy individual sprockets - even if you want to make a 'custom' cassette when the manufacturers standard set does not suit you.
 Herdwickmatt 16 Oct 2013
In reply to quirky: My wife did the same to a Veloce sprocket a few years ago. It was a strange break as well according to engineering bods, as in it broke in the direction of most resistance.
OP quirky 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Herdwickmatt: Looking at the break this seems to have happened here, it looks as tho the sprocket has been compressed and broken at the front. Have emailed Campag to see what they think... not overly bothered just thought it was odd! My own fault for buying a campag equiped bike!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...