ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Femininity and Climbing

Hazzo - on 16 Oct 2013
I am a student at Aberystwyth University studying Geography and am undertaking dissertation research for my final year. My topic of interest looks into how women, in particular, integrate into the climbing society which was once, and maybe still is, deemed a masculine dominated environment. I aim to understand how women are challenging the idea of climbing as a masculine dominated sport, how the preconceptions of femininity and expectations of the female gender are changing and how men are reacting in response to these alterations of discourse.
I am mostly interest in this post about getting your thoughts on how femininity is seen and conducted in the climbing scene. For example do you, as female, feel as though you need to make up for a loss of femininity (through partaking in the sport) by extenuating other feminine characteristics.
Also from a male perspective do you notice a change in atmosphere when women are around.
Any feed back you could give would be helpful. I don't mean to offend or patronise anyone through my wording.
... not showing 172 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums