UKC

Raveltik Demon Mountain axes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r.king 17 Oct 2013
Raveltik gear has come up on Sport Pursuit. I'm looking for a set of axes and wondering if anyone has experience of the Raveltik Demon Mountains?

I'll be climbing up to grade 4. Seconding mostly but maybe some easy leads this winter. Last year I borrowed DMM Flys and got on fine with them. The price between the two is such a difference I feel its a no brainer, but will I be disappointed and should I wait to invest in something more well known?

Any help much appreciated!
 TobyA 17 Oct 2013
In reply to r.king: I saw them as well - fantastic prices eh? I've never used them but I suspect you'll find that they are absolutely fine and hence a total steal at that price. I've used lots of different tools down the years and people can get very caught up in the marginal differences when at the end of the day no tools = no ice climbing; some tools = climbing. They're a well known make in their core market and some very good Central and Eastern European climbers have climbed VERY hard routes using their tools - it's a no brainer if you can't afford ice axes otherwise.

Be aware Sports Pursuit can take ages to deliver some things - it will tell you though how long but they don't hold the stuff in stock, it comes from the manufacturers direct I believe.
robatkinson 17 Oct 2013
In reply to r.king: i saw them this morning, their stuff is quite widespread on the continent and they are owned by singing rock, and their stuff seems ok.

i thought they looked great. If i needed a pair i wouldnt think twice, at those prices they'll be sold out in no time. Buy them and if you dont like them sell them on here or eebay and im sure you'll make your money back anyway
 Moritz L 17 Oct 2013
In reply to r.king:
I was looking at the ice screws before. Interesting to note that the screws with handle are not certified. Anyone used their screws? Such a bargain!
 PeterM 17 Oct 2013
In reply to r.king:

I wonder if the blades are interchangeable with Black Diamond ones. The axe designs look quite similar and the leashes are exactly the same. Good price on screws too.
 JXM 17 Oct 2013
In reply to r.king: They are heavy! I have used the Demon Mountain axes once on steep ice and thought that they felt more like an agricultural tool. They require some big hands to get a good grip. For mountaineering they are fine but heavy. On the other hand I have used the Demon Super Cup axes quite a bit on steep ice and have no complaints whatsoever. I have never used the Flys.
 HeMa 17 Oct 2013
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to r.king)
>
> I wonder if the blades are interchangeable with Black Diamond ones. The axe designs look quite similar and the leashes are exactly the same. Good price on screws too.

Look again...
http://www.raveltik.cz/product/demon-mountain/

So the Raveltik axes resemble Petzl offerings (Quark especially) quite a bit. But the picks do seems a tad different. Makes me think they are not interchangeable, atleast without some tweaking.
 TobyA 17 Oct 2013
In reply to JXM:
> (In reply to r.king) They are heavy!

Lighter than the new Flys at least according to the makers' websites, although of course where the weight is and balance is a different thing.

neuromancer 17 Oct 2013
In reply to r.king:

Just bought a pair of the gladiator variants. Let you know what they are like but it could be a while!
 JXM 17 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA: As I said, I have not used the Flys so can't compare. I did not like the swing of the Demon Mountain at all and I am not sure that I would suggest to use it for ice climbing. It felt very heavy to swing but it could of course be that I am too weak. Raveltik's website states that the weight is 670/690 g. I think that my BD Cobras are around 600 g each and I believe that a technical mountaineering axe (which I think the Demon Mountain is categorised as) comes in at around 500 g. Hence my conclusion that it both feels heavy and as a matter of fact is heavy

Having said that the Raveltik products in general feel good and look well built, and they are very reasonably priced.
 Nathan Adam 17 Oct 2013
In reply to neuromancer: Anyone else ever used the Gladiators ? They seem to strike a balance between the BD Fusion and the Reactor, but a lot cheaper. Are they T rated ? Sold my Fly's earlier this year with the intention to buy some Reactors but that deal looks pretty good on the Gladiators, be interested to hear peoples experiences with them !
 stuart58 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: at these prices u cant go wrong really
 dnyc 17 Oct 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to r.king)
>
> Just bought a pair of the gladiator variants. Let you know what they are like but it could be a while!

Yeah, I've just done exactly the same thing (and a couple of screws) =)
 neuromancer 17 Oct 2013
In reply to r.king: #

Only worry I have is getting replacement picks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...