UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: The New Petzl Tikka R+ And Tikka RXP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 17 Oct 2013
Petzl Tikka RXP, 4 kb

New to Petzl's Performance range and joining the NAO are the reactive Tikka R+ and RXP. Powerful headlamps that are intelligent and rechargeable for challenging activities and intensive use.
REACTIVE LIGHTING technology perfected by Petzl revolutionizes hands-free lighting. This system uses a light sensor to automatically adapt the brightness beam pattern to the needs and minimum battery life chosen by the user. This innovative technology works on headlamps equipped with a rechargeable battery and is particularly designed for intensive use.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5842
Aldaris 22 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
The article fails to mention that even in full autonomy mode, the RXP operates for 10 hours, the R+ for 12 hours. That is just ridiculous....
The good old Tikka XP2 operates for at least 90 hours.
Removed User 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Aldaris:

> the RXP operates for 10 hours, the R+ for 12 hours. That is just ridiculous...

They are pretty short times compared to some LED lights. But if you ever used a Zoom back in the day, anything lasting more than 4 hours seems miraculous!
 BnB 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Aldaris:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
> The article fails to mention that even in full autonomy mode, the RXP operates for 10 hours, the R+ for 12 hours. That is just ridiculous....
> The good old Tikka XP2 operates for at least 90 hours.

That's for rechargeables in the expectation that you'll recharge regularly. Add the interchangeable "normal" battery pack for a tenner and you get the full 80 hours. Seems flexible enough
Aldaris 24 Oct 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to Aldaris)
> [...]
>
> That's for rechargeables in the expectation that you'll recharge regularly. Add the interchangeable "normal" battery pack for a tenner and you get the full 80 hours. Seems flexible enough

In reply to BnB:
If you can recharge regularly. Even if you go on a one-week hike and spend several hours in the dark (which does happen a lot outside summer), you already drained the rechargeable battery. And then just add the usual effect of cold on batteries if you go alpine.
I'm sorry but I still don't see how is this a forwards step, or why on earth would anyone buy this headtorch if one can get a good old Tikka or Tikka XP for less then half the price. Or who is the target audience of this headtorch aside from the ususal gear-freaks.
Even for gram counters this is a backward step.

Could you please explain, how you get 80 hours with an interchangeable battery pack?

Bwox: when 90 hours of operation is the standard, a 12 hour headtorch is anything but miraculous to me.
 The New NickB 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Aldaris:
> (In reply to BnB)
> [...]
>
> In reply to BnB:
> If you can recharge regularly. Even if you go on a one-week hike and spend several hours in the dark (which does happen a lot outside summer), you already drained the rechargeable battery. And then just add the usual effect of cold on batteries if you go alpine.
> I'm sorry but I still don't see how is this a forwards step, or why on earth would anyone buy this headtorch if one can get a good old Tikka or Tikka XP for less then half the price. Or who is the target audience of this headtorch aside from the ususal gear-freaks.
> Even for gram counters this is a backward step
>
> Could you please explain, how you get 80 hours with an interchangeable battery pack?
>
> Bwox: when 90 hours of operation is the standard, a 12 hour headtorch is anything but
miraculous to me.

This is a much brighter light than the Tikka XP. This is probably aimed at runners, who have slightly different requirements.
Aldaris 24 Oct 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
That explains a lot.
Too bad even the 2014 announced Tikka XP will also have 120 lumens. The RXP without reactive lightning lasts for 10 hours with that lumen value. I assume the 2014 tikka and tikka XP will have a battery life close to that.

No good headtorch for hikers/climbers then .
In reply to Aldaris: black diamond spot is 90 lumens lasts
50hrs on Max Great lamp, or wait for the Updated 2014 model
Power uped to 120 Lumens and I'm sure still Healthy battery life, Battery life on the petzls is poor however it seems the norm for high power torches these days. Depends on wot your activity is spose
And if its only for a few hours here and there still maybe worth while for the extra light

Try the New Lensers seo 5/7 much cheaper just as bright 180/220
Lumens superb lamps however with battery life at 5/7 hours maybe not
 BnB 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Aldaris:
> (In reply to BnB)
> [...]
>
> In reply to BnB:
> If you can recharge regularly. Even if you go on a one-week hike and spend several hours in the dark (which does happen a lot outside summer), you already drained the rechargeable battery. And then just add the usual effect of cold on batteries if you go alpine.
>
> Could you please explain, how you get 80 hours with an interchangeable battery pack?
>
> Bwox: when 90 hours of operation is the standard, a 12 hour headtorch is anything but miraculous to me.

I remember reading somewhere that 80 hours is possible with long life AAAs rather than rechargeables. You just swap them in when your rechargeables expire. Seems pretty flexible to me if the AAAs only work for half that time.
Aldaris 25 Oct 2013
In reply to BnB:
40 hours with regulated 120 lumens seems nice indeed. I have to check it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...