UKC

aviemore food shopping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 17 Oct 2013
Any proper supermarket's in the close proximity I.e not tiny tesxo metros etc.

Cheers,

AT
 aln 17 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: no
 kwoods 17 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Nah Tescos it. If you're looking for hill food I once successfully bought 10 days-worth hill supplies in there.
Graeme G 17 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Big tesco in Inverness
 alexcollins123 17 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Is the large tesco in the middle of aviemore not large enough?

Has all the essentials plus loads more!!
OP AdCo82 17 Oct 2013

Cheers.

Just general camping food I.e fresh meat and veg were don't get charged a fortune.

Thanks for the replies.

AT
Graeme G 17 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

There's a butchers across the road.
OP AdCo82 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Is it decent? Are the mini supermarkets a rip off?
 Cuthbert 17 Oct 2013

It has shut now.

The Tesco prices are normal tesco prices. Just turn up and see what shops you like (Triubhas I mean).
Graeme G 17 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Sorry i've never shopped there but i live in the area and all the butchers source their meat from the same farms. If it's anything like my local butchers the beef is the best i've ever eaten.
Graeme G 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Father Noel Furlong)
>
> It has shut now.

Bummer. I suppose that's what happens when we shop at Tesco.

aln 17 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Saor Alba)
> [...]
>
>
> Bummer. I suppose that's what happens when we shop at Tesco.

That is such pish. We shop there coz its cheaper. It's cheaper coz it's a multinational that shafts the world for profit.
 nufkin 17 Oct 2013
In reply to aln:

> It's cheaper coz it's a multinational that shafts the world for profit

But it can do this because we go there and buy things, instead of going across the road and getting our hair wet in the rain.

It is a pisser about the butcher - they did really good haggis and sausage
OP AdCo82 17 Oct 2013
In reply to nufkin:

Are there any butchers / green grocers left or is tesco the only option?

Whats the best pub for a relaxed drink / nice food? Something similar to Clachaig in Glencoe would be nice.

What's Glenmore Lodge like for a drink?
 Mike-W-99 17 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

> What's Glenmore Lodge like for a drink?

Its not bad, usually a couple of cairngorm ales on tap. Can get busy during the school holidays as the campsite is nearby.
OP AdCo82 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Any other good pubs?

Is it the school hols this week or next in scotland?
 Padraig 18 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Ya really starting to pi** me off Tri! If ya trolling..7/10. If ya really asking genuine Q's ....Take ya own supplies! FFS! I'm going for the troll!
OP AdCo82 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Padraig:

Why is it trolling?
 CarolineMc 18 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

The lodge is generally nice for a drink and chilling by the fire or chatting to other outdoor types. Beer selection is good and gammon is huge. Haven't been in the winking owl for a while but used to have a good whisky selection. The Skiing Doo does really good meals and seems to be the popular hangout for eating and drinking. Nice atmosphere and food is plentiful. Daytime, the mountain cafe's coffee and cake is amazing. Curly Fries in the skiing doo are cheaper though!

Fish and chips are great at The Happy Haggis! Curry next door is alright too.

Tesco does for most shopping but there are bigger supermarkets in Inverness if that's what you want. Few, if any little grocers around in Aviemore now but great venison and sausages at Dalraddy / Alvie Estate (3 miles south on the old A9) and 'proper' shops in Grantown-upon-Spey up the road.

Co:
 Only a hill 18 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
The Old Bridge Inn is my favourite pub in Aviemore. Good ales and a decent whisky selection.
Graeme G 18 Oct 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Father Noel Furlong)
> [...]
>
> That is such pish. We shop there coz its cheaper. It's cheaper coz it's a multinational that shafts the world for profit.

Eh? I haven't a clue what you're on about. What did i say that is "such pish"? I think you need to stay off the drink when posting.

iksander 18 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Sod the pub, get to the mountain cafe for cake (and beer). Shame about the queue though. And not cheap.
 tony 18 Oct 2013
In reply to iksander:
> (In reply to An Triubhas) Sod the pub, get to the mountain cafe for cake (and beer). Shame about the queue though. And not cheap.

And the all-day breakfasts, well worth the wait.
ccmm 18 Oct 2013
In reply to tony: Aye, it's the wee chive they lay on top which makes it so expensive.
 george mc 18 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Large Costcutter at Dalfaber

http://www.costcutteraviemore.co.uk/

Locals shop there as it saves having to take your place on the filmset of the Walking Dead...
 KevinJ 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
+1 for the Old Bridge. Good beer and decent food. Had some good live music there of an evening as well.
 KevinJ 18 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
I tend to use the Tesco when up in Aviemore, but that is just because it is convenient. I would agree with CarolineMc re Grantown though. Some good shops there, including the bakery which does a good breakfast in the cafe.
The Costcutter at Dalfaber isn't bad, and is handy for stuff like kindling as well.
 Siward 18 Oct 2013
In reply to KevinJ: And, at least in winter, you can camp in the woods opposite....
 Toby S 18 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
>
> Any other good pubs?
>
> Is it the school hols this week or next in scotland?

Schools in the Highlands are off this week and last week. They go back on Tuesday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...