UKC

Best North Wales scramble in the wet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 halroberts 18 Oct 2013
Hello all,

Was hoping to get out climbing in North Wales tomorrow - weather according to this is a bit pants, and assuming it's chucking it down today so everything may be a bit sopping.

Not to be deterred, hoping to get out somewhere new for a scramble - any recommendations on something not too exposed in high winds but manageable in dodgy conditions (either in boots or approach shoes)

Been up Idwal slabs and East Face of Tryfan, so hoping for something a bit different, any ideas very welcome...
 The Ivanator 18 Oct 2013
In reply to halroberts87: I've done Cneifion Arete twice on wet and windy days. Start is steep, but holds are good all the way - it is quite exposed, so wind direction could be a factor. Personally I found it quite exhilerating in high winds (gusting 40mph ish) but I wouldn't necessarily advocate the route to others on this basis! Most Welsh scrambles will go in adverse conditions, just important to make a judgement call based on what your party is comfortable with.
 Simon Caldwell 18 Oct 2013
In reply to halroberts87:
Bryant's Gully - serious but fun

+1 for Cneifion Arete
 Dave Williams 18 Oct 2013

From experience, I can vouch that Snowdon's Cwm Tregalan Great Couloir is an excellent scramble in the wet. Easily doable in boots and reasonably sheltered too.

HTH

Dave
 BnB 18 Oct 2013
In reply to The Ivanator: +1 re the high winds. I know gales raise the objective danger level but isn't there something exhilarating about battling the elements?
 Mike Peacock 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Dave Williams: That's one I never got round to doing. I know of a few people who had serious route-finding difficulty on it though.

I'd suggest NW Face of Glyder Fawr (g2). Short walk in, reasonable length, interesting terrain.

Choss 18 Oct 2013

How about the gribin Ridge From miners Track?

Shortish, Grade 1. At top can Turn left for Nice walk over lliwedd Back to pen y pass

In reply to Choss: Yes, that's quite 'good' in a downpour in my experience. The slabs turn into a bit of a waterfall. Character building stuff for such an easy route.
 UKC Forums 18 Oct 2013
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Choss 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

plus if you get to top of gribin ridge early enough and Fancy extending it you can Scramble the ridge to snowdon about same grade but very poor terrain. Then Back to pen y pass via crib goch or the pyg Track.

Personally i dislike snowdon Summit with a passion. Turn left over lliwedd i say. very pleasant
OP halroberts 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately the prospect of thunderstorms has put us off the idea for today at least...there's only so much my character needs building I guess

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...