UKC

A plea for some positive vibes before heart op on Tues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Mountains 19 Oct 2013
Some of you know me, most don't. I haven't been on here much this year. I haven't done much of anything this year.
Been plagued with a condition called Atrial Fibrillation which is an irregular heartbeat. Used to happen every few months for a day or so but, the last 12 plus months its been several hours every day. Leaves me exhausted and dizzy. Also been very depressing as you can probably imagine.
Anyway I'm off to Liverpool Heart & Chest hospital on Tuesday for an Ablation op which has a 80% chance of curing it or at least making a big improvement. Really hoping to get my life back as much for my families sake as mine. We have a new baby due at the end of November to add to our three young girls.
Just feeling pretty down and intimidated by the whole situation and could do with some positive vibes being sent my way. It would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
 climber34neil 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: hi Andy , first of all can I wish you good luck for a successful op and a speedy recovery. I remember feeling very down prior to having spinal surgery several years ago so feeling some sort of empathy for you and your situation. Although very different procedures the benifits to me following the op have been massive both physically and mentally and also to my family as well. Prior to the op I was limited to what I could do with my kids and found that upsetting but now I don't have to say sorry I can't do that I genuinely feel that their lives have improved as I am able to do so much more with them, and of course climbing , running etc are all comfortable again. Focus on positive outcomes , set small achievable short term goals that then lead on to as fuller recovery as possible. I seem to remember you posting up to date and accurate conditions reports for Wales last winter ? If it was you then thanks very much as it was very useful info and could do with that again this winter!!! So I selfishly send you good vibes to aid a speedy recovery and enable you to provide your conditions reports!! Being serious though , I wish you all the best, Neil
 jon 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains:

I was only wondering last week if you'd eventually had the op. i know it's been postponed several times which must have been very upsetting. Hopefully it'll put everything back to normal and eventually you'll be able to stop or at least reduce mdications. If it's any help, mine was 100 per cent successful, no more meds etc, so no reason at all why yours shouldn't be. I know what you mean by feeling intimidated though! So, positive vibes indeed.
 Dino Dave 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Hi Andy, you've got great chances of it making a really positive impact on your life. You extremely lucky to have this opportunity... just think think long term. When your op goes successfully and you get discharged, think of all the things that you will do that you can't do now or even just how much easier life will be. How much more you will enjoy life with a trouble free heart.

Best of luck with it all, positive vibes are well on their way. The Scottish hills are calling for a winter coming soon
 The Lemming 19 Oct 2013

Good luck with your operation which will go perfectly.

The only thing that you will have to worry about is not letting your other half catch you ogling the nurses.

JohnnyW 19 Oct 2013

Don't know you mate, but recognise your posting-name as sensible and positive contributor to the furore of UKC

Good luck with it all mate.

I suffer a chronic condition that I have seen people die of, and I have done for 30+ years. I have just been lucky that my condition has never worsened like others. Or is it luck? I like to think the fact that I have never let it get me down, have never let it get in the way of what I want to do, and have never had an issue discussing it with folk (it's in an embarrassing, taboo area has meant that I have just gotten on with it.

(Well, that and the fact I finally, after 10 years, started taking my medication regularly and properly, much to my doctor's relief).

So my advice is get the op done, recuperate properly and as advised, take your drugs as you're told, and then get on with it!

Good luck mate, and positive vibes indeed.
 Only a hill 19 Oct 2013
Best of luck and I hope it goes well for you.
 abr1966 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: as other say mate....good luck with it but you wont need luck as the surgeonsanaesthetics are really something in cardio. You willbe in safe hands and will come through it fine.....a big step to face i appreciate you are having to take. Will look out for you on here letting us know how its gone.
Your next few days waiting wont be easy but they will pass. Focus on a positive outcome with your family and picture yourself chasing your girls around. I only know of 1 person who's had that articular op and its transformed his life back to how it was before he ws poorly..
All the best...
 Dee 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Good luck Andy. Healing vibes on their way.
 Gazlynn 19 Oct 2013

Good Luck mate.

Cheers

Gaz
 upordown 19 Oct 2013

Best of luck, Mr Mountains! Things will be much better soon and you'll look back at how worried and low you felt and it will make you laugh
 PATTISON Bill 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Hope it all goes well Andy Had a Myocardial inrarct 15 years ago then another 2 weeks ago walking and climbing in Spain.Had a stent put in and discharged next day.Walked for two and a half hours each day till being allowed to fly home last Monday Feel great and cant wait to get back on the wall and the crags .Im only 79 but hope Ive a few more years to go.Im sure youll be fine ,look on the positive side and take the advise they give you .Moderation in all things particularly in moderation.
 Fraser 19 Oct 2013

Best of luck dude, I'm sure you'll be fine.
 Trangia 19 Oct 2013

All the best mate. I don't know you, but having had cancer surgery a year ago I know what you are going through. It'll be a breeze and before you know it you'll be home again and getting your life back together. It's worth going through the experience for the post op relief alone! And the comment about the nurses and assistants is true - they are a fantastic bunch of people!
 Mick Ward 19 Oct 2013

Good luck!

Mick
 Postmanpat 19 Oct 2013

A good mate of mine suffered badly from this. Eventually,about five years ago, he had the operation and has been in great health ever since. His only regret is that he didn't have it done earlier. He's currently trying to persuade another mate with same problem to get it done!

You'll be fine and you'll get your life back.
 mwr72 19 Oct 2013

Best wishes and +ve vibes headed your way from our lot
 SteveoS 19 Oct 2013

Good luck!
 Yanis Nayu 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Very best of luck)))
 RagingSphere 19 Oct 2013

Good luck, I hope to see you back posting soon.

Mark
Jim C 19 Oct 2013
A friend of mine Andy, was having breathing problems walking short distances , and his doctor sent him to get a check up , it was suggested a stent might be required, he was shocked , and concerned when following the tests a triple bypass was required.

The operation is now over, and very successful, and in hindsight he says the wait and trepidation was the worst part, the OP. and even the recuperation, and physio have been easier than anticipated. The quality of life vastly better.

Maybe it is difficult for you, but if you can possibly look forward to the operation , knowing that it is almost certainly going to improve your life, and accepting that worrying about it , is pointless( although understandable) as it is out with your control.

I am looking forward to hearing from you again on these forums, with a successful OP behind you.
 Shani 19 Oct 2013

Positive vibes duly sent!
 hokkyokusei 19 Oct 2013

Good luck with the op and recovery. Positive vibes in the post
 marsbar 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Good vibes on the way
 didntcomelast 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Andy I had this very operation myself about six years ago. It was fine. I also had a very irregular heartbeat and at 42 and in very good health otherwise it was a bit of a shock to the system.
Anyway, I went into it with an open mind, after all what's the worst that could happen! I don't know how yours will go but for mine I was conscious though sedated for the majority of the surgery and it was great to be able to watch what was going on. They basically shove a wire up into your heart through one of your arteries and cauterise the muscles that cause the irregular rhythm. The cool bit is when they knock you out toward the end, stop your heart then restart it to make sure it fires on all cylinders again. Now that is impressive when you talk about it at dinner parties.
I was back on my feet within a couple of days and my only restriction was i couldn't drive for a week. Health wise back to normal.
You may have to take aspirin daily afterwards but that isn't a big deal.
Since my op I have been on Mont Blanc, done the Lakeland 50 in 14 hours and several other strenuous jaunts.
Unfortunately I have only recently had a little mishap and fallen whilst bouldering and now have some meccano in my left leg having broken my fibula.
One thing I will say though is the op was a bit of a kick in the pants to me to get off my arse and live life. I don't ever put things I want to do off now because life IS too short and when I finally pop off I want to be satisfied that I have done as many things as possible.
Sorry if I sound a bit trivial about what is pretty major surgery. But that's my attitude to life mate. If you want any more info let me know.
Best wishes.
Removed User 19 Oct 2013

Andy. I'm that sure you'll be alright I'm inviting you to get back to us with a post op report of how it went. Stay positive and strong. RFS.
 Andrew Lodge 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: My wife had this done a few years ago, great success for her. Good luck
Clauso 19 Oct 2013

80%?... That's more than a glass half-full. You're home and hosed! Good luck dude.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments and emails! I have read and read and reread them, and will be reading them again. You lot are really making me feel a lot better.
Glad I posted this thread now, I had typed it out and then deleted it 2 or 3 times over the last 48 hours or so.
I'm not really one for telling people stuff, even my close friends and family members are not really aware full whats been going on with me this last year. Sometimes its kind of easier to post on a forum full of mainly strangers I guess.
Thanks again, and feel free to keep them coming. Each and every message is making me feel stronger.
Andy.
 Doghouse 19 Oct 2013

Good luck Andy - positive vibes being sent your way.
 Bob Bennett 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Best of luck!
 Philip 19 Oct 2013

With three and a bit little ones you won't need positive vibes from us. Just think of all the helping hands you've got to wait on you while you recover. Plus you can probably use the sick note to get out of some late night nappy changing.
 Queenie 19 Oct 2013

All the very best to you for Tuesday's op. You are going to feel so much better after this...for your family and most especially for YOU.
Hopefully you can try to embrace the idea of surgery, it's a necessary step towards getting your life back on track. Do check back in when you feel up to it to let us know how it's all going for you. Take care.
 Puppythedog 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Kind and generous thoughts from myself and MrsTheDog.
 Fiskavaig 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Hi Andy, we have exchanged messages once or twice, good luck to you, hope all goes well, and that you will be back in the hills before to long.
 Firestarter 19 Oct 2013

All the very best and good luck. Make sure you keep us up to date, and may your ropes always go upwards!

Pretty much overwhelmed by the response to this
 wilkie14c 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: good luck dude, get this out of and look forward to the new baby and Christmas eh!
 Bulls Crack 19 Oct 2013

Good luck and a large delivery of vibes on their way to you right now!
 SteveSBlake 19 Oct 2013

Andy, good luck, tho you won't need it it'll be a cruise!

Steve
 rockcatch 19 Oct 2013

Good luck Andy. I've read your winter blog in previous years, and bumped in to you a couple of times on snowy mountains in Wales. I hope everything goes well, and that you are able to enjoy getting out again soon.
 Padraig 19 Oct 2013

Good Luck! Had a mate who had something similar a few years ago and it made a huge difference to his life. Sending good vibes
 csw 20 Oct 2013

Best of luck.......
altirando 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: A year ago next week I was sirened off to a CCU and later an angioplasty. Just three stents shoved up an artery. Not surgery. But coming up to the anniversary I have to say I don't normally even think about it. That is how you will feel a year from now. Getting on with your life. Interestingly, my wife's sister has the AF problem.
 Ridge 20 Oct 2013
Positive vibes from me too, (plus Mrs Ridge and the hound)!
 Alex Slipchuk 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: when in recovery, wait until there's a big booby nurse passing by, ask her to look at the lump in the top of your head. Hey presto facial massage with fun bags. For added effect, make the noise of a mucky pup. You'll either get lots of nurses checking your lump or moved to D ward (wing).
 BusyLizzie 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Wishing you a peaceful week. Think about mountains as much as you can, and enjoy your family. Great to have this done before the littlest one arrives.
 FesteringSore 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Good luck
Removed User 20 Oct 2013

all the very best andy from me and mine
 veteye 20 Oct 2013
Yes Keep yourself calm before by thinking of the great benefit that this will bring.Good positive thoughts from all of us on here.

You will have to post afterwards and let us know that it went well.
 blurty 20 Oct 2013

Very good luck mate
Moley 20 Oct 2013
Good luck with the op. I don't know much about the problem, but a mate of mine suffers from it and is on a pill a day, but sometimes his heart still goes out and he has to be 'rebooted'.
He's early 40's and has recently done the Paddy Buckley, Bob Graham and the Meiri round (very tough Welsh round), I'm sure he would have added the Ramsay this year if he hadn't bolloxed his back bigtime.

So don't despair, hopefully there's a good future for you on the hills.
 dek 20 Oct 2013
Best wishes mate! You look as fit as a fiddle, I know unfit, sedentary people who've had the op and it's made a big difference to their lives!
You will cruise it!
 lowersharpnose 20 Oct 2013

Hope it goes well. A big day indeed.
 sbc_10 20 Oct 2013

Good luck Andy .

Here's some positive vibes..

'+'...(((((+)))))) ......(( ( '+' ) )) ....coming your way....
altirando 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Just looked up ablation, realised it is indeed essentially the same procedure (not really an operation?) I had this time last year, a catheter pushed up my artery from the wrist, but in my case, a blockage removed and three stents implanted. By far the worst problem was being in a chilled room in only a thin hospital gown despite my requests, no sedation, almost passed out from hypothermia. The procedure itself was no problem. Not sure if rehab is involved but if Liverpool is anything like Cheshire, you have to take charge yourself. An hour of a pathetic circuit on gear found in a skip, once a week, was useless. I bought a heart rate monitor (BHIP sale now on) got back to a reduced regime in the gym, and did some nordic style walking with trekking poles every day. On Wednesday you will wonder why you were concerned!
 jon 20 Oct 2013
In reply to altirando:

I feel that's being just a tad dismissive even if it was in an effort to put Andy at ease! The ablation involves, as its name suggests, a wee bit more than simply popping a couple of stents in place. The fact that it doesn't involve opening up the patient only simplifies one aspect of it. Identifying and dealing with the tissue that is responsible for emitting the rogue electrical signals that are causing the AF is a long and delicate business. It lasts on average 4 hours but can run to almost twice that - my own GP was in the theatre for 7 1/2 hours. My own op was quicker than normal but still took 3 hours. Now this is not meant to worry Andy - he knows this as we have corresponded about it some time ago - but more to say that it is entirely normal to need reassurance in whatever form works for him.
Removed User 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Hope it goes well and best of luck for the future.
 Rob Naylor 20 Oct 2013

Good luck with this Andy. Vibes won't be loud enough from here so have some TUBULAR BELLS:

youtube.com/watch?v=JSNppaJ4mOc&
 mlt 20 Oct 2013

Sending you good vibes!
In reply to Andy Mountains: I've been in contact with vibes r us and they assure me a shedload are on their way to you.
 tim000 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: all the best . soon be back in the hills.
 Greenbanks 20 Oct 2013

Good luck on Tuesday. You'll be back bog trotting through this Autumn rain before not too long.
 Tom Hutton 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Good luck Tuesday - really hope it does the business
Simos 20 Oct 2013

All the best with it Andy - I am sure it'll go fine and AF will be a distant dark spot in the past before you know it! Chances are definitely on your side as well as all the UKC positive vibes, I think you should be excited about getting it sorted instead of intimidated and down! (obviously I understand that it can be daunting/scary but keep thinking that medicine does wonders these days)

And congrats on the new arrival - very exciting!

And again many many thanks for all your kind comments, very much appreciated.
Looking forward to another fine Welsh winter climbing season for myself and you lot. Can't wait to blog about it again

And yes I will of course post on here once the procedure is done and I am awake.

Lots of love to you all!
 TobyA 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Good luck Andy, and don't forget to remind your surgeon that strength is no replacement for good technique.
 thermal_t 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing about the positive impact that this operation has had on you.
 pneame 21 Oct 2013
In reply to jon:
Nicely put Jon. Indeed, not trivial. But the 80% chance of success makes it well worth it surgeons don't like to do things that don't work. Doesn't do their justifiably huge egos any good at all.
I'll look forward to hearing the outcome which will likely be good. So don't worry Andy. It'll be cool.
 mrdigitaljedi 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Hi andy u dont no me, but good luck will be thinking of you on tuesday..........
 Padraig 21 Oct 2013

Good Luck tomorrow Andy. Some +ve vibes coming........
 Andy Say 21 Oct 2013
All the best, Andy. It is a GOOD thing that there are lots of 'Andys' - in the Outdoors. Lets keep it that way!

Another Andy.
Removed User 21 Oct 2013
Best of luck Andy; have a friend who had a radiofrequency ablation for atrial fib and he's now running around the Scottish Highlands!

You'll be fine.

rb
 Dax H 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Best wishes and vibes for tomorrow.
Like many others on here I too have a friend who has had this and though it took a second go it has sorted him out a treat.
 pebbles 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: likewise, as far as im aware i dont know you, but wish you a succesfull op, hopefully you will feel I like a new person afterwards and have your health and fitness back
Good luck !
 FreshSlate 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Good luck mate!
 teflonpete 22 Oct 2013

Good luck Andy, hope it all goes well today.

Thank you all once again for your kind comments, it means a lot.
I am in the hospital now and have just been admitted to the ward. Have been given my own private room as there was one spare, so thats rather nice.
Procedure scheduled for 1pm til 4.30pm, so will sign off now and post back with a new thread tomorrow with an update.
I know its not the world's most serious condition or hospital procedure, but all of your kind comments have perked me up no end these last couple of days.

PATTISON Bill 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Hope all goes well Andy.
 GarethSL 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: All the best for today!
 PieMan 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Positive vibes being sent today Andy, wishing you all the best and I'm sure you'll be back in the mountains sooner than you think.
 Queenie 25 Oct 2013

A gentle <bump>

Hope you're recovering well from your operation, and are one of the 80%...
 Yanis Nayu 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Mountains: Yeah, I thought about you yesterday. Hope you're doing ok )))
 Firestarter 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

As above - hope it went well. Let us know when you can.
 csw 25 Oct 2013

hope it went well - let us know........
 jkarran 25 Oct 2013

> Anyway I'm off to Liverpool Heart & Chest hospital on Tuesday for an Ablation op which has a 80% chance of curing it or at least making a big improvement.
> Just feeling pretty down and intimidated by the whole situation and could do with some positive vibes being sent my way. It would be very much appreciated.

Good luck Andy, you'll be in good hands. My father had the same op recently in the same hospital after years of problems and some really unlucky complications with his medication. So far so good, it's been a great success after a few really hard years.

<edit> I see my good luck was too late. Still, I hope you're doing well and tales of success help with getting back to normal life.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...