UKC

National Trust land and CROW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 19 Oct 2013
A couple of questions for the massive that have risen out of this question in a Summer Mountain Leader take home paper:

"You wish to walk and camp on National Trust property in Wales. What are your rights?

As I understand it my rights would spring from the CROW act which gives me a 'right to roam' over open land in England and Wales provided I excercise this right responsibly. What the NT provides is access to their land but this is not really a right.

Is this right?

Also, is camping in wild areas a right as such?

Cheers.
 JIMBO 19 Oct 2013
In reply to DaveHK: if the land is covered by CROW then you may roam on foot anywhere you wish. If not NT may grant you freedom of the land or failing that you must stick to rights of way. There is no legal right to camp wild in Wales but you could seek permission from NT.
alexgoodey 20 Oct 2013
that's spot on, you should always seek permission to camp.

you have right of access (under crow and various rights of way laws) to land and rights of way - to "Pass and re-pass" between different locations. If however you're staying, strictly speaking you're not adhering to the law.

The "blue book" is the ultimate guide to rights of way, and is the bible for rights of way departments. worth a read if you want to impress your asessor, though their knoeldge is seldom that good

i.e. it's legal to cycle on a bridleway, but not use a unicycle. it's legal to ride a horse, but not a llama... etc. access and rights of way are fantastically complicated!
OP DaveHK 20 Oct 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks folks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...