UKC

Dry feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woolsack 20 Oct 2013
Please share your secrets on keeping your feet dry this winter. Who makes the most waterproof of overshoes?
 aceupmysleeve 20 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack: dont bother with overshoes as they let water in everywhere! Seal skinz socks are the best things for keeping your feet dry and warm!
 ablackett 20 Oct 2013
In reply to aceupmysleeve: I think seal skinz waterproof socks are rubbish. I got 2 different pairs from 2 different suppliers and tested them both, they both let in water instantly when I put them under a tap. I sent them both back and the replacements both did the same.

Winter shoes are probably the answer, but I don't have them.
 DaveHK 20 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack:

It's you legs that are the problem. Because you have legs, socks and shoes need to have a dirty great hole in the top. This lets the water in.

Seriously though...

Neoprene overshoes will at least keep you warm and wet rather than cold and wet which in my experience is the best you can hope for.
 Phil1919 20 Oct 2013
In reply to DaveHK: What about neoprene socks?
 DaveHK 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Phil1919:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) What about neoprene socks?

No experience of them but don't see why not. They work well enough for windsurfing and such like.
johnj 20 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack:

Seen as I'll be on my mtb with flats feet will be fine with hiking boots, but if I was on the road it would be the full works. Thermal tights, warm socks, plus goretex or sealskin socks, winter shoes and heavy duty overshoes, and good mudguards on bike.
 Andrew W 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Phil1919: Very sweaty unless its very cold also it only tends to be warm when wet as its effectively a wetsuit.
 TobyA 20 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack: I agree sealskinz are best for keeping feet dry, but if you get wet shoes and its cold, even if your feet are dry they can still get very cold.

Road over snow today for the first time this winter https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/391987378631348224/photo/1 - not ideal on my road bike with skinny tires on! But at least my feet were warm in my thick neoprene over-shoes.

Lots more on my attempts to keep my toes warm - and that usually means dry too: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/trail-riding-and-avoiding-cold...
 andy 20 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack: endura neoprene overshoes. Top kit.
In reply to woolsack:

Aldi nylon overshoes £6.99 (not the neoprane ones)

I've been using these for the past few weeks, off road, through bogs, long grass, etc. They certainly keep my feet drier, definatelly easier/quicker to dry at home, than sopping shoes!!

Stuart

nniff 21 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack:
Ixve just about resigned myself to warm and wet being as good as it gets. Eventually the rain runs down your legs and fills your shoes up from the top regardless of how waterproof your shoes are, unless you're wearing waterproof trousers and that's not going to happen
 FrankBooth 25 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack:
I've found merino wool socks inside and £10 Decathlon overshoes work pretty well. They'll be wet by the end, but so long as your feet aren't cold I don't think it really matters
 sleavesley 25 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack: I have Northwave Farenheit GTX road shoes. I got them in the spring with money off vouchers at wiggle for £75. I am happy I did. Rode in minus five fine with them on. Also rode them a few weeks ago in a downpour and I was the only one with dry feet (saw the weather forecast and thought ahead).
Appreciate they cost a lot, but I tend to just go out at weekends in the winter so maybe 20 days use a year, they are going to last longer than summer shoes.
 lost1977 25 Oct 2013
In reply to woolsack:

On the road the secret I found was simple, close fitting rear mudguard. Stops the water spraying off the back wheel and coming in your shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...