UKC

Why I climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bertbee 20 Oct 2013
Just had a short but brilliant session at Ilkley.

Had been practicing the moves on Fairy Wall, and felt happy I could go for it. The rain started, and I felt part-disappointed and part-lucky something out of my control had given me a fair reason to not commit on lead. I'd packed up my rope and was ready to go, knowing I should have gone for it, but lacked the courage.

Then a break in the rain - f*ck it, I'm going for it. My belayer comes trotting down ready to go and I'm there at the bottom of the climb pulling my boots on. I pull through the starting move, a quick pause for the unprotected crux - but it fine, and the first bit of gear keeps me calm. Tiptoe up the ledges, the crimps a little damp from the rain. A small dose of Elvis near the top, but I pull it under control. Slap the final jug and I'm there! Come on!! I bloody did it!

That was 4 hours ago, and I'm on the train back home. For now, all the worries about work and housig and bills are gone. For all the world, it feels exactly like when you finally kiss that person you've been longing for for months, an overwhelming sense of elation and joy, and the guarantee you'll sleep like the happiest person alive.

Whatever grade your climbing - this is why we climb!
 kwoods 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Bertbee: Nice one! It's been a while since I felt like that about a route and funnily enough they were all trad routes!
 Bulls Crack 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Bertbee:

Front page UKC I think!
In reply to Bertbee:

Summed it up wonderfully.
 The Pylon King 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Bertbee:

Nice one! its a great feeling isnt it!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...