UKC

Recommend me something similar to DJ Shadow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nathan Adam 21 Oct 2013
Anyone got anything similar in mind to the kinda heavy stuff from the Endtroducing album ?

Doesn't have to be sampled music, just stuff of a similar sound. Have listened to some Bonobo, Unkle and Apparat but never delved deeper than a few songs.

Cheers !
Rosco P Coltrane 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

DJ Yoda
Scratch Perverts
Krafty Kuts
Somebody Holmes too..David I think. Definitely not Sherlock. Or Barratt.
 ayuplass 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:
AIM -Cold water music
 Jon Stewart 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: go through all the mo wax stuff from that era. I used to be obsessed with that and ninja tune records.
 Motown 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: As above - just work through Ninja Tunes from that era. Cinematic Orchestra had some dense stuff but not as hip-hop influenced as Shadow, PLaid was enjoyable, playful electronica. Gonjasufi worth a listen for more recent stuff.
 Motown 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Motown: David Holmes - all albums hugely worthwhile, as well as any mixes you can find. An record pack with remixes of his track was excellent - Arab Strap remix of Don't Die Just yet being exceptional.
 MonkeyPuzzle 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

DJ Cam. Bit more chilled out, but some really good beats and samples. Substances is an especially good album.
 Jon Stewart 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Motown:
> (In reply to Motown) David Holmes - all albums hugely worthwhile, as well as any mixes you can find. An record pack with remixes of his track was excellent - Arab Strap remix of Don't Die Just yet being exceptional.

+1. It's not often I say that.
OP Nathan Adam 21 Oct 2013
In reply to All: Nice one guys, i'll get listening tonight !

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free.
 Jon Stewart 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: kinda different, but fulgeance makes some heavy, electronic hip hop/synthy, bassy stuff. I've got a superb live set thing that I'll post when I get chance
 The Pylon King 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

A bit obvious but Massive Attack
In reply to Nath93:

Try:

DDayOne
Boards of Canada
Yosi Horikawa
Saroos
 Mr Lopez 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Have a good listen also to Pretty Lights and Gramatik. Widely varied styles between parts of their discography (or even within albums) but plenty of gold in there.
 Dauphin 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Mr Lopez:

+1 on the Pretty Lights.

Quantic, Fila Brasilia, Handsome Boy Modelling Club, Leftfield. Plenty more.Just can't think at the moment.

D
 snoop6060 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Get the fingathing albums, you won't regret it.
 flaneur 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Kruder and Dorfmeister - The K&D sessions. Epic stuff.

Other and solo works more cautiously recommended.
 mav 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:
beethoven. Bit dated now, but in it's time, it was groundbreaking.
 aldo56 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: Quantic - 5th exotic! One of the best trip-hop albums of all time.

Other artists from my recent listening that haven't already been covered in that sort of area:

Long Arm, Suff Daddy, Floating Points, Flying Lotus, Gotan Project, Gramatik, Lemon Jelly, Nightmares of Wax, Onra, RJD2, Saint Germain, Parov Stelar.

malk 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: Howie B?
i think you'll like Buck 65: http://www.tomhull.com/ocston/arch/rs/buck65.php
 Jus 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

I second Quantic - check out 'An Announcement to Answer'
 Jus 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

dunno if its been mentioned - Thievery Corporation too.
 malk 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Jus: lol -was just going to mention them when bonobo was mentioned. and what happened to neuroproject?
youtube.com/watch?v=RF-fC7tqatc&
 Marq 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Nobody has mentioned Fluke I think who had a couple of good albums about the time of Leftfield and Leftism.

Marq
 malky_c 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: The Avalanches debut (only?) album is pretty good. Can't think of much else as it is a genre of music I don't pay much attention to.
In reply to Jon Stewart: Thanks Jon, that sounds like it would be to my liking !
In reply to Motown: Currently listening to a David Holmes essential mix from 93, the same year i was born !

On the music side, it is very good, almost Underworld like, but without the vocals. Will listen to some other artists later on.

Cheers again for the suggestions folks !
 Stuzz 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

If you like Pretty Lights and Gramatic's stuff then you should definataly check out Griz. Similar to both but a little bit heavier.
 malk 22 Oct 2013
In reply: could someone clarify the genre of 'similar to DJ Shadow'?
 gd303uk 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:
cut chemist,
youtube.com/watch?v=m0bP3biXJt8&

You might like ,Jurassic five.
 gd303uk 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: UNKLE, a bit obvious but just in case.
 gd303uk 22 Oct 2013
In reply to malk: eclectic musical taste mixed in a hip hop way , with a good bit of scratching ,
 Ramblin dave 22 Oct 2013
In reply to malk:
I have trouble thinking of anything else that's genuinely in the same league as Endtroducing-era Shadow - there's a lot of trip-hoppy instrumental breakbeat sampledelic chill-out whatever, but almost everything else I've heard has been on a generally laid back and mellow sort of tip, whereas DJ Shadow at his best was all about a slightly gothic paranoid vibe...
 malk 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: could you give an example?
OP Nathan Adam 22 Oct 2013
In reply to malk: Sampled music mixed up with drum beats, essentially taking samples from other music with his own in put and mixing it all up to make a track. Some of it is quite mellow and chilled out, some is pretty fast and heavy.

Some of my favourites from the Endtroducing album,

youtube.com/watch?v=KFXtwNLR2xE&

youtube.com/watch?v=Axg2N1D8V-g&

To the other guys, thanks for the suggestions, listened to some stuff last night (David Holmes and DJ Cam), will delve further tonight !
 malk 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: if you look at the cover of the album you will see an elo album- that's a clue..
OP Nathan Adam 22 Oct 2013
In reply to malk: Sorry, i don't know what you mean ?
August West 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

A few years ago I saw the band 'Introducing' play Entroducing. Basically it was a live band playing the whole album note for note, scratch for scratch. It was brilliant and one of the best gigs I have seen. It is the only time I have ever seen a drummer reading sheet music!

http://introducinglive.com/
 Jon Stewart 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) kinda different, but fulgeance makes some heavy, electronic hip hop/synthy, bassy stuff. I've got a superb live set thing that I'll post when I get chance

Here's that thing I was on about, it's awesome. If you want to know where any of the dialogue comes from, ask Blue Straggler!

http://yourlisten.com/jonstew/fulgeance-presents-connceticut-beat-tape
 lost1977 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Checkout the clear air turbulence collective on either Facebook,reverbnation or sound cloud
 Jon Stewart 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> [...]
>
> Here's that thing I was on about, it's awesome. If you want to know where any of the dialogue comes from, ask Blue Straggler!
>
> http://yourlisten.com/jonstew/fulgeance-presents-connceticut-beat-tape

And anyone who likes that (we're getting further and further from DJ Shadow here but what the hell, it's good music) might like to check this out too.

vimeo.com/44419542
 newhey 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Try David Axelrod, late 60s and 70s music, but the source of lots of samples on Endtroducing.
youtube.com/watch?v=dhxdnq_1OcM&
 Ramblin dave 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:
I've been listening to a group called Old Apparatus a lot recently - they're sort of similar in vibe to DJ Shadow's darker and heavier stuff, although they're more built on a dubstep / UK garage type sound than hip hop.

This sort of thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=tqLLux2ZtCc&
 Jon Stewart 22 Oct 2013
In reply to newhey:
> (In reply to Nath93)
>
> Try David Axelrod, late 60s and 70s music, but the source of lots of samples on Endtroducing.
> youtube.com/watch?v=dhxdnq_1OcM&

Interesting, ta for posting.
 Twaplington 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:

alot of RJd2's stuff is well worth a listen, quite similar
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to malk) Sorry, i don't know what you mean ?

Possibly the idea that he just takes other people's music, rather than creating his own. The whole 'sampling' thing.

Blue Straggler 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> If you want to know where any of the dialogue comes from, ask Blue Straggler!
>

I will listen to this tomorrow if convenient. I doubt I'll get any of the dialogue though - you have far far far too much faith in me! It's probably all from really cool films I've never seen like "They Live".

Oh! I wonder if 9.40 is from Spheeris' "Suburbia"?
 Blue Straggler 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

GoodFellas!
easy
 Smelly Fox 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:
Four-Tet, Burial, RJD2, CloudDead... all of a smiliar ilk.

Trist
 drsdave 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:
yer its david holmes,about as good as it gets
 malk 24 Oct 2013
In reply to drsdave: just how good does it get though? need to post a link with that claim..
 Jon Stewart 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> [...]
>

> Oh! I wonder if 9.40 is from Spheeris' "Suburbia"?

I thought Silent Bob and Jay, Clerks?
 Jon Stewart 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Smelly Fox:
> (In reply to Nath93)
> Four-Tet, Burial, RJD2, CloudDead... all of a smiliar ilk.
>
> Trist

Great Four Tet liveset here. Techno, but with soul. Nothing like DJ Shadow though!

youtube.com/watch?v=d9uFygzB-ho&
OP Nathan Adam 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Pretty big techno fan anyway so i shall not complain, thanks again !
 Jon Stewart 25 Oct 2013
In reply to malk:
> (In reply to drsdave) just how good does it get though? need to post a link with that claim..

this good:

youtube.com/watch?v=ENjeY4yZF2E&

and here's the arab strap remix mentioned earlier

youtube.com/watch?v=bqE2AUuOFOs&
OP Nathan Adam 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93: youtube.com/watch?v=NAm1JMDZEvI&

Happened to stumble upon this after the Four Tet set and thought it was pretty good and that it may appeal to some here. A bit more mellow than other stuff but still some good tunes.

Boiler room sets seem to be very good over all !
OP Nathan Adam 26 Oct 2013
In reply to malk: Thank you so much for that link, that is excellence in music. My ears weren't quite ready for how loud it was going to be through my headphones !
 Jon Stewart 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Did this get a mention? Only just heard it. Very much like the early 2000's trip-hop, but with nice new production:

youtube.com/watch?v=n4LxHI8uV9A&

Still not terribly like Endtroducing, but hey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...