/ Compression socks - recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ava Adore - on 21 Oct 2013
Wanting to try compression socks during a run - any of you that use them, can you recommend which brands to try?
JohnnyW - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Me too, as they will apparently stop my calves hurting during spinning or road work when I have high cadence......
steelbru - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
Some of the big names are pretty expensive - 2XU, Skins, Compressport etc. There's a small UK company called redvenom.co.uk that are pretty good - allegedly the stuff is made in the same factories as the expensive brands, but they cut out various middlemen and advertising, etc.

Or, the flight socks you get on long haul flights do the same job, but don't look so cool - ok if wearing under tracky bottoms though. On a similar vein ( pun intended ) medical support socks from Boots for varicose veins.
markk - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: I found compression socks too faffy, but calf guards much more effective. Since you don't need to wash them as frequently as socks, they'll probably last longer before losing their elasticity. Check the sizing - different manufacturers have different size ranges and getting ones that are suitable snug is key. 2xu work for me, although red venom look good value if they fit you.
Irk the Purist - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
I'm not convinced of the benefits. My anecdotal evidence is that they are far more prevalent in the middle and back of race fields than the front. Much better to invest in a cleaner and spend the extra hours training.

Paula Radcliffe aside, but she wears those stupid titanium bands too.
yorkshireman - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to steelbru:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> Some of the big names are pretty expensive - 2XU, Skins, Compressport etc. There's a small UK company called redvenom.co.uk that are pretty good - allegedly the stuff is made in the same factories as the expensive brands, but they cut out various middlemen and advertising, etc.

I've not been converted to compression socks yet as I can't be bothered with the faff - I sometimes wear compression shorts though when running - either when its really cold, or if I'm going to hammer my quads on lots of steep downhill (or ultras).

I've got some Red Venom shorts, and although they're OK for the price, they're definitely not a patch on my Skins set.

I'm a big fan of not making things too easy during training - if you train with loads of assistance then you will rely on it during races. Train without, your body will adapt and if you use support during races, it will be an added bonus.

I've considered them - getting twanging cramps in my calves at the end of marathons, or during ultras but its becoming less and less of a problem as time goes on.
In reply to markk and yorkshireman:

What is faffy about compression socks?
markk - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: the ones I tried were a bit of a wrestling match. And when they ceased to be so, they just became baggy and useless.
mbh - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

They look really silly. Do they help me run faster really?
markk - on 21 Oct 2013
In reply to mbh: unlikely, but I have found calf guards helpful whilst recovering from an injury.
In reply to markk:

Ah OK. Thanks.
In reply to mbh:

I'm not interested in running faster, just protecting my calves
Ava Adore - on 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

Looked at the various different options mentioned here and elsewhere and have ordered the Red Venom ones as they were the cheapest and I like the idea of ordering compression gear from a company that just does compression gear. I will let you know whether I find them faffy or helpful.
Marek - on 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
I've always had problems with calf cramp in the second half of ultras. This year I tried calf compression sleeves from Decathlon (15). No cramp. Not sure if it's the compression or the extra warmth, but they seem to work for me.
ads.ukclimbing.com
yorkshireman - on 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Marek:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> I've always had problems with calf cramp in the second half of ultras. This year I tried calf compression sleeves from Decathlon (15). No cramp. Not sure if it's the compression or the extra warmth, but they seem to work for me.

I'm not saying they don't work because I don't actually know, but beware of confusing causation and correlation.

I've always suffered too - but this year did my longest ultra ever (without compression socks) and didn't have any problems. Could it be just something you grow out of/get used to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.