UKC

Silk liners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam C 21 Oct 2013
Anyone got recommendations on what the best value silk liner to go for is?
Needing it for a imminent trip to South America.
Had looked at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Blue-Micro-Sleeping-Liner/dp/B0058NW0JS/ref=sr...
Anyone recommend (or not) them?
Cheers in advance
 JayPee630 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Sam C:

I've got a Rab one. They're all much the same to be honest.
 Simon Preuss 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Sam C:
Well for a start that one you linked to ISN'T silk - I don't have any particular recommendations on that one beyond that point.

I personally have a Decathlon silk liner. it does the job fine, plus at the time I bought it, it was at least £10 cheaper than all the other ones I could find elsewhere.
adam11 21 Oct 2013
Try a good Motorbike clothing shop, silk is popular. The soft shell stuff eg the Motrax Cold Killer is at least as good as some top shelf climbing kit and about half the price.
 JayPee630 21 Oct 2013
In reply to adam11:

For a sleeping bag liner?!
adam11 21 Oct 2013
Sorry, I stupidly misread your Post and thought you wanted a silk balaclava (which are excellent under a woolly hat)
 Clarkey77 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Sam C:

I'll second the vote for the decathalon silk liners. Mine is fine and was not so expensive that I mind it performing its main function; to get dirty in place of the inside of my sleeping bag.
alexgoodey 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Sam C: Silk is a lovely material.. but what will cost you £30-£50 on the high street is also available for £10 on ebay from countries where silk and fabrics are made as a more basic artisan material rather than a commodity for the wealthy.

Get two, they're light and useful to have a spare. Silk is very strong too, so you can carry the spare as a neckerchief or whatnot.

In reply to adam11:

A silk balaclava (and liner socks) is a lightweight alternative to a silk liner for keeping the bag clean... The balaclava keeps the face oil off the bag, and the liner socks keep smelly, sweaty feet off the bag; the two places where a sleeping bag gets dirtiest, assuming you're wearing long base layers...

Admittedly, you do look a bit of a nutter...

I bought silk balaclavas dead cheap from www.silkbalaclavas.com a couple of years back. Hmmm... They want £10 now. I paid £7.50 for two...

I got my silk bag liners from Lidl; £8, IIRC.
 thin bob 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Sam C:
heard great things about
http://www.jagbags.co.nz/
Sam C 30 Oct 2013
Thanks all- ended up being sold one from a mate who never used it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...