UKC

Alps 4000m peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jthallen 21 Oct 2013
Known self-certified British completers of the Collomb list (52 Alpine mountains above 4000m) amounted to 16 at the start of my investigations in 2012. I have discovered 2 more this year, 2013. The full 18 are: Eustace Thomas (in 1933 with guide Josef Knubel), Will McLewin, Peter Fleming, Brian Cosby, John Mercer, Mike Pinney, Jeff Harris, Kate Ross, Martin Moran, Simon Jenkins, Colin Beechey, Dave Wynne-Jones, John Higham, Dave Penlington, Denis Mitchell, Les Swindin, and the 2 new names Professor Harold Taylor in 1985, and David Litherland.
How many names are not included above, ie British, self-certified, completer of the Collomb 52? The Collomb list with criteria is still available (was in 2012) from Robin Collomb, c/o West Col Publications, Reading, Berks. price £10 plus postage £2.00.
There are other lists, eg by Richard Goedeke, Martin Moran, and more likely to become the standard list in future, namely the UIAA list of 82. No Brit has completed this list, yet - see www.club4000.it
Of course just as much fun can be had without lists, but I just thought it would be armchair fun to ask the question.
 Simon4 21 Oct 2013
In reply to jthallen: So have you got the Collomb list then?

I always understood it was 50 genuinely separate mountains in any case.
jthallen 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Simon4: I have the Collomb list of 52. Feel free to buy your own copy of the book. Have you done any of the 4000m peaks?
 Simon4 21 Oct 2013
In reply to jthallen:
> (In reply to Simon4)

> Feel free to buy your own copy of the book.

Too kind!

> Have you done any of the 4000m peaks?

Na, mate, never been near them. Don't do any of that nasty, cold, dangerous Alpine stuff, I prefer climbing walls myself.
 jon 21 Oct 2013
In reply to jthallen:
> (In reply to Simon4) Have you done any of the 4000m peaks?

Aha... red rag to a bull!

Simon4 21 Oct 2013
In reply to jon: The bull is not interested, too busy contemplating the daisies - and the cows!

Speaking of cows, I ought to finish bringing that list up to date.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...