UKC

Kalymnos fixed gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phill Mitch 21 Oct 2013
Just got back from Kalymnos and was thinking I should let someone know about a half worn through fixed crab at the top of Lolita in the Sikati cave. I stripped the route and was faced with the daunting lower off on a half worn through crab. About a dozen people had done the route that day so I figured it should be ok, but as time has gone on I have been thinking I should let someone know before an accident happens. Any ideas?
 gear boy 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Phill Mitch: http://climbkalymnos.com/?page_id=2865

Or steve at the glaros bar
OP Phill Mitch 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Phill Mitch: I will try that thanks.
 KTC 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Phill Mitch:
Couldn't you thread the anchor and lower off the ring / chains?

Well done reporting it.
 Blue Straggler 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Phill Mitch:

When this happened to me I simply replaced the karabiner with one of my own and left it there. I usually take a non-worn old screwgate up sport routes if I am somewhere where the lower-offs tend to be equipped this way.

I reported it to Aris much later, seemed a bit irrelevant as the problem was already dealt with.
 jim jones 21 Oct 2013
In reply to KTC:
> (In reply to Phill Mitch)
> Couldn't you thread the anchor and lower off the ring / chains?
>
And even last one abseil instead, if we all did that it would save 50% of anchor wear.

OP Phill Mitch 21 Oct 2013
In reply to Phill Mitch: I could have done all of the above I know, but as we were in a queue for an hour to do the thing and people were waiting I just wanted to get out of the way. I know I should have thought more safely but I just clipped it, shouted ok, then started to worry!
I am sure it will be ok for a while but how long is that when so many people are doing a route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...