UKC

How/where to find cheap climbing shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chilli Bee 22 Oct 2013
Hey guys,

I'd like to start bouldering but I'm on a tight budget at the moment. Is there anywhere in London, or UK in general, where I can find cheaper shoes? (Not used please).

Thanks
 Sl@te Head 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/F-50625-climbing-shoes

But remember 'buy cheap buy twice' and it's always worth getting to know and supporting your local climbing shop.
Chilli Bee 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Thanks, I might save up and delay my climbing 'adventures' for a few months if I can't find something reasonably priced.
 Kieran_John 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee:

has anyone tried those £30 boots? I'm thinking they might be good enough to keep in my garage for my woodie.
 GrahamD 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head:

In fairness, though, if the OP is a complete beginner then the toes of the first pair of boots will wear out in no time no matter how much you pay.
Chilli Bee 22 Oct 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

What do you mean by 'no time'?
And yes, I'm a complete beginner.
 Alun 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee:
I buy decathlon shoes for training purposes, I particularly like the slippers. They are fine, pretty comfy, hardwearing, and do the job.

The main downside is that the rubber is noticeably less grippy than the stuff you'll find on more expensive shoes. But you gets what you pays for. As a beginner shoe, or an indoor shoe for anybody, I think they're fine.
 GrahamD 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee:

> What do you mean by 'no time'?

That all depends on how naturally good your footwork is and how often you climb, of course, but I've seen beginners wear out their toes in 6 months or so where you might expect to get 2 years, all due to imprecise footwork.

Being soft rubber, shoes aren't very tolerant of being dragged across the wall / rock
 Lukeva 22 Oct 2013
In reply to GrahamD: 2 years!? I wish, I must have very poor footwork- climb 3 times a week
 SGD 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee: I also use the Decathlon Cliff slippers for 90% of my indoor climbing (mine are the old red variety) and they have been great shoes for indoor climbing. I have also used them a few times outside and I did notice the difference in friction when compared to a more expensive shoe (5/10, Sportiva) but this wasn't really an issue indoors.

If I didn't have a stock pile of shoes atm I would certainly buy another pair and at £40 when you consider you may well go through your 1st pair of rock shoes in under 6 months depending on how often you climb they are probably ideal.....if they fit.
Chilli Bee 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee: Thanks everyone, I'll go to Decathlon this week and try some of their shoes on.
andic 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee:
> (In reply to Chilli Bee) Thanks everyone, I'll go to Decathlon this week and try some of their shoes on.

You might as well give them a go, I have taken beginners out into the peak with decathlon specials, and they have managed to get up HS/VS stuff on the bottom of the rope. No point in chucking your money about at this stage.
 jkarran 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee:

The Decathlon shoes will be fine to get you going. It is worth supporting your local independent store but if it's a choice between that and nothing...

The notice board at your local wall will likely have shoes for sale, people buy them too tight then sell them on.

That said, check your local wall's prices before you get hooked if money is that tight!

jk
 ByEek 22 Oct 2013
In reply to Chilli Bee:

> Thanks, I might save up and delay my climbing 'adventures' for a few months if I can't find something reasonably priced.

You don't have to wear climbing shoes to have climbing adventures. A stout pair of boots / approach shoes are adequate for scrambles and easy climbs, but if you do shimmy up proper climbing routes in boots, make sure you kick off any mud first.

Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...