UKC

Car Rental from Bergamo Airport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EliotStephens 23 Oct 2013
Hi,

Looking to hire a rental car for 4 people and 4 crash pads for just over 2 weeks from Bergamo Airport next month. Ive gone through the general companies like Hertz and Europcar. Cheapest large cars which will take crash pads come in at about £500. Is this the sort of price we should expect to pay? Or does anyone know if there are less well known rental companies which operate at the airport that we could get a better price from?

Any info would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
 Little Brew 23 Oct 2013
In reply to EliotStephens: we alwasy use this company http://www.arguscarhire.com for a price guide. worth a google.
 Wally 23 Oct 2013
In reply to EliotStephens: Sounds about right. We normally pay approx £160-200 a week for car hire from the Northern Italian airports. If going to the dollies, german hire car is cheaper.
 Martin Bennett 23 Oct 2013
In reply to EliotStephens:

My theory is that in going direct to eg Europcar and Hertz you're approaching the rental companies themselves. It's almost always better to go through an agency who's volume of business with such suppliers gets them huge discounts which they pass on to you. Try putting your details in on the websites of eg Auto-Europe.co.uk (who I mainly use as they're Freephone (to USA where their office is!)and very good AFTER the trip if you've been ripped off for a tank of petrol for instance (not uncommon). Others are Rentalcars.com, Holidayautos.co.uk, the aforementioned Argus who are usually very competitive, and many more.

Travelsupermarket takes your details and selects offers from all of them in one place

I reckon at this time of year you'll come away with a LOT less than your £500 for a large family saloon/estate. Maybe £300 to £400?

Good luck. I'd be interested to know how you get on.
In reply to EliotStephens: In my experience car hire is noticeably more expensive in Italy than in other parts of (western) Europe - I rent upwards of 6 times a year and have done for the last 4 years or so.

Why? Well my guess is that it is because you are in Italy and there seems to be more loons on the roads

Hiring from agencies is generally cheaper but not so reliable. Picked up a car in Rome once, had skis with me plus stuff for a conference so had ordered a decentish sized car, got a Micra as did my bro with wife & 2 kids, he'd ordered an estate. They had run out of bigger cars. It was far from ideal, we got some money off after complaining but would rather had what we had ordered (and had confirmed). With Avis you would get upgraded rather than downgraded if what you order isn't available.

You get what you pay for I guess.
OP EliotStephens 23 Oct 2013

Thanks everyone.

Quotes through the agencies are coming up at around the £300 mark, which is less than the £500 or so for equivalent cars through Hertz or Europcar etc.

In regards to the excess insurance cover, the agencies offer it through a particular company at £95, but I've had a look and it looks like you can do it through external companies and at a price closer to £40. Does this sound right or have I missed something?

Thanks again!

Hope the boulders are dry after all this scouting around!
 Martin Bennett 23 Oct 2013

Privately arranged excess reimbursement insurance cover will be around £40 to £50 for cover for a YEAR and as many car hires as you can fit in. Not only that but if you get the right one it will cover the roof, the underside and the glass of the car - the one the car hire firm sell you for up to £50 per WEEK generally doesn't. I use an annual policy from Worldwide Travel Insurance (worldwideinsure.com). Happily I've never had to claim yet so can't say how good they'll be when I do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...