UKC

2014 TdF course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lost1977 23 Oct 2013
Just seen the route and doesn't inspire that much ,almost looks like they are avoiding more than a half of the country
 MattJP 23 Oct 2013
In reply to lost1977:

I have just seen it. Looks like they are skirting round the East, then over to the South West, them fly to Paris!

Last years was much better 'looking' than this one. But plenty of summit finishes etc!
 GrahamD 23 Oct 2013
In reply to lost1977:

Have you seen anywhere that has stage details ? a quick search for the Cambridge - London stage has drawn a blank so far. I want to know how close it gets to our house !
OP lost1977 23 Oct 2013
In reply to MattJP:

Thats how it looks to me as well, although stage 5 does sound sick
OP lost1977 23 Oct 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

Other than a sprint finish on the mall no
 andy 23 Oct 2013
In reply to GrahamD: They were announcing the details at 12:30 CET so maybe hasn't hit websites yet.
 andy 23 Oct 2013
In reply to GrahamD: Stage 1 and 2 details here:
http://letour.yorkshire.com
 Chris the Tall 23 Oct 2013
In reply to lost1977:
Given the start in Yorkshire they naturally want to avoid too many long transfers during the race. Also after last years "100th race best of compilation" it is inevitable that this race would lack some of the usual highlights to avoid repetition. Nice touch to include so much of Flanders in honour of 1914, but I gather Froome is worried about the cobbles.

Anyway, how much can you tell by looking a the route map. What was the best stage year ? The double ascent of Alpe d'Huez, or the boring flat transition stage (13) won by Cav after the crosswinds split the field ?
In reply to lost1977:

I am sure I remember there initially being three stages in Yorkshire with the Sheffield finish being on a Monday. Now this Cambridge stage seems to have appeared and Sheffield is the Sunday.

Am I making this up, or did something change?

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
No, Cambridge to London was always part of the plan, or at least since they announced they had won the bid
 andy 23 Oct 2013
 GrahamD 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Brilliant ! within 2km of the house. I feel like a party coming on.
 Rubbishy 23 Oct 2013
In reply to andy:

I susepct it will be a bit more of a sight than the last race I saw through Skipton - the 1986 Milk Race.

I recall seeing Sid Barras and Keith Lambert
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to andy)

> I recall seeing Sid Barras and Keith Lambert

When I came up through the juniors in the North East in the 60's, the most I generally saw of Super Sid was his back wheel! I could generally match him on the climbs, but stood no chance in a sprint.
 Andy Say 23 Oct 2013
In reply to John Rushby:
Hah! Saw that same race go along Keighley North Street.
 Rubbishy 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Say:

Did you see a ginger kid with a perm and a Kwantum Hallen top trying to follow them on his Carlton?
 MHutch 23 Oct 2013
In reply to andy:

I wonder whether there is be a good chance of a crash as the peleton is squeezed up getting around the narrow roundabout at the bottom of Skipton High Street? (Gets deckchair out, reserves spot outside the Woolly Sheep...)
 Rubbishy 23 Oct 2013
In reply to MHutch:

They'll clear the roundabout, but not the taxi pulling out on them from the rank in front of the old Co-op....
In reply to John Rushby:
Reckon this pub in Embsay must be gutted they aren't on the route - would have made the sort of picture editors love

http://www.lads-at-dent.org.uk/USERIMAGES/DSC00405a.jpg
In reply to John Rushby:

They can't - there's some electrical transformer or something like that under it.

Here's hoping the roads are going to actually be rideable!

ALC
 Adam Long 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC and UKH)
> No, Cambridge to London was always part of the plan, or at least since they announced they had won the bid

Alan's right, I had a look at the original route in detail earlier in the year - a day in the dales, a flat day around York, then Sheffield was stage 3. The London stage appeared later, around the same time the national tourist office muscled in and upset the Yorkshire lot. I can see it makes a lot of sense for logistics though.
In reply to Adam Long:
Was that plan ever in the public domain ?
And did the suggestion for change come from London or Paris ?
 andy 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Adam Long:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Alan's right, I had a look at the original route in detail earlier in the year - a day in the dales, a flat day around York, then Sheffield was stage 3.

As long as it's definitely been coming to Yorkshire it's been the two days that are planned - there might have been talk of three when they were bidding, but the Leeds-Harrogate and York-Sheffield days have been planned since it was announced back in December 2012:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/536048/yorkshire-will-host-2014-...
 cragtyke 24 Oct 2013
In reply to lost1977: http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2014/us/stage-2.html
You've got to admit the Cote de Greetland has got a ring to it, as has the Cote de Jenkin Rd.
Anybody know what cat Holme Moss has been given, 2?
 cragtyke 24 Oct 2013
In reply to cragtyke:
> (In reply to lost1977) http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2014/us/stage-2.html
> You've got to admit the Cote de Greetland has got a ring to it, as has the Cote de Jenkin Rd. See the profile.
> Anybody know what cat Holme Moss has been given, 2?

andy 24 Oct 2013
In reply to cragtyke: Holme Moss is the only categorised climb on the first 2 days - I think it's a Cat 4.
 Ramblin dave 24 Oct 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to cragtyke) Holme Moss is the only categorised climb on the first 2 days - I think it's a Cat 4.

The need a couple of easy days to prepare themselves for the fearsome mountain passes of Cambridgeshire and Essex, clearly.
 Steve John B 24 Oct 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> Brilliant ! within 2km of the house. I feel like a party coming on.

Goes past our front door on day 2. Can't wait to start moaning about it. How many of the (mostly foreign) riders actually pay road tax?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...