UKC

MTB plans for Dinorwic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 23 Oct 2013
This could be interesting

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/former-giant-slate-quarry...

Wonder what, if any, consequences there would be for the climbing?
 Tom Hutton 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: Have a feeling of deja-vu here... and love the idea that Scotland can't match Wales... But if it works and brings jobs/money into our area then all well and good...
 Banned User 77 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton: It would be great, seems a good use of the land. By Dinorwic I take it they mean the northern side, because they refer to it being the largest in the world.

I think it is a great use of that land.
 Red Rover 23 Oct 2013
In reply to IainRUK: The northern side being the Bethesda quarry? Anyway I cant see it impacting on the climbing.
In reply to Red Rover: No sorry.. the llanberis face.. there was talk of a center a few years back in Glyn Ronwy (sp?).. not sure how the new power station affected that area.
 MikeSP 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton: A quick search found this http://www.snowdonia-active.com/news.asp?newsid=71 (check the date)
With the UK mountain biking scene getting huge at the moment, I think it is more likely this time round.
Could be good though.
In reply to dapoy:
From that link

Site 1: Dinorwig Quarry
The idea here is to create a world class downhill mountain biking facility that could be a venue for a world cup downhill event within five years. The vertical difference from the summit of Elidir Fach to Llyn Padarn is 690 metres. There would be up to ten runs of various standards, with smaller specific dual slalom runs, dirt parks and associated facilities.

Site 2: Glyn Rhonwy
Here the plan is to create a more family oriented downhill and cross country course, with the associated facilities. From the summit of Cefn Du to Llyn Padarn, the vertical difference is 344 metres.

The land owners of the Dinorwig site, the First Hydro Company (an Edison International Company) gave permission for an initial scoping exercise to be done

>>>
It's great that First Hydro are supportive of the plans, something of a contrast to Dali's Hole
 Red Rover 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: It talks about the height diffrerence between elidir fawr and the valley as if the bikes will be going right from the summit, is this what theyre planning?
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to dapoy)
> From that link
>
>
> >>>
> It's great that First Hydro are supportive of the plans, something of a contrast to Dali's Hole

But they will rent the land of them presumably.. so using land currently of no economic value.. and the company running the site is liable for accidents not FHC.. FHC were open for DH being rented out.. totally different situation to DH now.
In reply to Chris the Tall: very interesting. North Wales is fast becoming a place for sport and I hope that continues to develop. this gets a thumbs up from me even though I suspect that 90% of it will be mostly unridable by myself!
 The Potato 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: its abotu time too, me and a friend were talking about that about 10 years ago. Hopefully then Bethesda will catch the bug and make something more interesting than the zip line.
 Tom Hutton 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: Sincerely hope they don't try and run bike trails from the top of Cefn Du - it's lovely and peaceful up there and I'd love it to stay that way (and I'm an mtber)
 steveriley 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:
I'd imagine the Cefn Du thing has been overtaken by events with the new power station proposed... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-23920312
There was certainly evidence of money spent on landscaping and infrastucture when we did the fell relays this w/e. Don't know if that's in anticipation?
 Tom Hutton 24 Oct 2013
In reply to SteveRi:
Really? Where? I'm up there about twice a week and haven't noticed anything?

In fact, unless I misunderstand this, there isn't even a contractor for this yet, just planning permission. And even that's under dispute over a few technicalities and it may end up in front of the Welsh Government yet.
 steveriley 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:
You'll know much more than me then. All that levelling and the access roads that don't particularly lead anywhere. I'm probably getting ahead of myself. Has it been like that for a long time?
Rigid Raider 24 Oct 2013

Having explored the quarries over the years I'd say it's as good a use as any. Done sensitively the industrial heritage can be preserved and in fact saved from further deterioration.

Presumably if they drilled down a hundred feet or so in the bottoms of the quarries they could hook up to the gens and use some of the spare capacity to run a cable car up to the surge tunnel area? I know a couple of African guys who could do the wiring in an afternoon.
 Red Rover 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Rigid Raider: Can they actually put an MTB route through the quarries or are they just talking about round the edges where all the slag is? If I remember rightly then the only way down through the middle of the quarries would be to ride down te steps of Cirith Ugol to Dalis.
 Tom Hutton 24 Oct 2013
In reply to SteveRi: I don't know all the quarries - approach from the Waunfawr side so don't tend to drop too low. But the bits I do explore haven't altered at all in the time I've been here. I hated it at first - thought it was ugly - but love it up there now.
 Andy Say 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:
Might there not be some conflict with the ski centre?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/3097614.stm
In reply to Andy Say:
That link is 10 years old - has anything been started ?
Maybe its possible that the two could sit side by side and share parking and retail facilities
 Andy Say 24 Oct 2013
Sorry Chris; just a joke. That particular pipe-dream came to nothing at all!
Andy
 Banned User 77 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:
> (In reply to SteveRi). I hated it at first - thought it was ugly - but love it up there now.

Same.. you do really get to love the quarries.. a special place.

Tom Hutton 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Andy Say: You forgot the
andyathome 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Hutton:
> (In reply to Andy Say) You forgot the

;0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...