UKC

Alicante Car Hire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dennis999 23 Oct 2013
Any recommendations for car hire out of Alicante aiport? We're going sport climbing in December and I'm trying to find a decent company as a few of the cheaper ones have absolutely terrible reviews online.

If anyone has been before and has any recommendations then I'd be grateful to hear them!

Cheers
 pauljackson 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: This is the firm that we use and they were fantastic - carhire.centauro.net/‎. If you need any further info please just ask. Paul
birdman 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:

try carhire3000.com I have used them all around the world and have rarely found them beaten on price. Very good company, just make sure you read each deal as some things etg unlimeted mileage etc are or aren't included.

But excellent company.
OP Dennis999 23 Oct 2013
In reply to pauljackson:

Do you bother with all the extra insurance and stuff? We're already paying for extra drivers and young person supplements so i feel another €8 a day is pushing it
 John2 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: Use http://www.rentalcars.com/en/city/es/alicante/?affiliateCode=google&cor... . They will get you the best deal. Last December I hired a Polo for £90 for three weeks.
OP Dennis999 23 Oct 2013
In reply to John2:

Cheers, is there any way you know which company you are getting put with? I've heard pretty bad things about goldcars and i think rental cars uses them.
 Sam Warby 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: Don't use drivalia if you don't want to pay for a full tank of fuel that you can't use! we got stung by not reading the small print and it cost us.
 pauljackson 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: No and we have had no problems. They are not worried wether you use a credit or debit card and when we get there it takes minutes to sign in and a very nice lady takes you to your car. On return the lady is waiting for you and very quickly signs you out at the car. Paul
andyathome 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:
The difficulty with most of the intermediary companies like Carhire 3000 is that they are just the middleman who get bulk discounts from the companies that actually hire you the cars. So the actual deal you are getting is very very variable.

The one to watch for with the very cheap Spanish hire companies is that you MUST take out the extra insurance they offer you which is on top of the deal that you thought you'd got OR you pay them a deposit of eu XXXXX. You will get the deposit back if you have been good but they do actually take the money before refunding so you get hit by exchange rate etc charges. I got done like that a couple of years ago and refusing the insurance which was about and extra £7 per day I got stung by £30 bank charges for the money going out and coming in.

It can really pay to go with a reputable company who might be charging £20/30 'more' but will finish you costing you less.
 John2 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: My car was from Goldcars. Good car, no problems whatsoever.
 John2 23 Oct 2013
In reply to John2: You may well find that excess insurance from a site like this http://www.insurance4carhire.com/?refID=2047&subRefID=0&curID=GBP&a... is cheaper than the hirer's insurance.
 mike123 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: search previous threads on this, there are lots. some people on here think that gold car (just about all the third party websites use them ) is fine and are happy with them. other people (me included) think gold car are a rip off and avoid them like the plague because the price you end up paying is always way above the very low price you are intially quoted. as has been mentioned above , either pay our extra insurance or we need a huge deposit off your card and if we give it back you will be hit with £30 (+) of fees by your card company/bank. they also charge you a ridiculously inflated amount for a tank of fuel, which you may only use half of. there are several alternatives. i use laracar. the price you are quoted is the price you pay. full stop. and the car is collect full, give back full. the other downside of gold car is the 1/2 hour wait at the booth, while each customer argues about the above. Laracar (and others) meet you off the plane , take you to the car, swipe your card if neccesary and off you go.
OP Dennis999 23 Oct 2013
In reply to mike123:

Thanks mike, do you know if Laracar do under 25s?
OP Dennis999 23 Oct 2013
In reply to John2:

If you buy this sort of insurance, do the companies still try and charge the massive deposit?
 hedgepig 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:
I just got the europcar that's pushed on the easyjet booking. I cost more that the goldcar upfront, but
1) goldcar makes you buy a tank of fuel @ £90. (tank does not cost £90 and you don't use all of it going to Calpe)(but they ask for it back 'empty' ie still half full of double-price fuel)
2) no queue at the europcar desk; return tank full so you pay only for fuel you use at normal pump prices
 john arran 23 Oct 2013
We just hired a car with Goldcar in Italy, unknowingly as it happened to be the fulfilling partner of an agent we booked through.

Never again - it's the devil incarnate. Worth checking in detail before you book that you aren't being palmed off with a car from these thieves, and certainly worth more dosh to avoid the hassle and stress.
dinkypen 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:

Get a quote from autoeurope.co.uk. Also, get a quote for the additional insurance from www.insurance4carhire.com.
 John2 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: I think I had £300 or so authorised on my credit card, but it was never debited. The operation was completely legitimate.
 Trangia 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:

I've had terrible experiences with Goldcar and would never ever use them again.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia:

+1

Chris
FiendishMcButton 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

+2 for not using Goldcar, cheap when you book but like other have said they try sell you insurance and you pay a premium for a full tank of fuel.

I got supplied with a car that was dangerous. 2 badly damaged wheels that were rusty but covered up with new wheel trims. This became apparent when hitting speed of 100 KMH or above. Then offered another car that had tyre damage and after being stung for 400 euro for two new wheel I refused this
car. The third car was older but OK. It took another 2 months to get a refund on the amount I had to pay because they hired me a car with dangerous wheels and I only got this amount because I took photos which proved that the damaged wheels had rust on them which could not have happened in one day. I would never use this company again.
OP Dennis999 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:

Thanks all, Goldcar certainly look a bit dodgy. The credit card blocking is a bit of a killer really, but any of the more "legit" companies i.e. Hertz etc will charge approx. 5 times what the other companies charge for under 25 fees, which I come under sadly.
 John2 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: The credit card blocking is pretty standard with any car hire company.
OP Dennis999 24 Oct 2013
In reply to John2:

Certainly looks that way, need to get myself a credit card then I guess.
 pauljackson 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999: As I said in my earlier post, you do not need a credit card with the company that I gave you the link for! They are great on all fronts and do not play the games as above. I have in fact just booked another car with them for next January!
 ElbowsB 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:
I've used DoYouSpain.com a couple of times for hire cars (including from Alicante). They compare companies, so you don't know who you're going to get until you book I think. In Alicante I got Record (who generally get terrible reviews because of the insurance/fuel "hidden charge" complaints). The extra insurance is never included, but if you know you have to pay extra, you can just include that cost in your estimation of which company is cheaper. It was about 4 euros a day I think. You can find the charges online. You can choose Full/Full or Full/Empty sometimes, but not always, but again if you know you're having to pay for the fuel, just factor that into your estimation of which company to go for. For me, these companies are still cheaper, so I used them (till I got a van).
 Ron Walker 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:

We've used CarJet for a good number of years and as they are a broker you can choose which company to use based on price and extras.

See http://www.carjet.com/

We've often picked GoldCar and as long as you know that the insurance is extra and buy the top-up from Carjet in the UK rather than at the Spanish Airport and that they and most other Spanish hire companies, have pay for a full tank and return empty policy, you should be OK!

For three weeks in November a Renault Kangoo costs £105.96 then with top-up insurance of £36.75 taken with Carjet it comes out at a whopping £142.71!

I know we'll then need to pay another £70 for fuel which we'll use anyway and will return the car empty.

At the end of the day it's costing less than £50 a week to hire a Kangoo - how much would you expect pay in the UK or through the so called legit English companies!!!

Cheers Ron

OP Dennis999 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:

If you buy the Carjet top-up do you still have to put the deposit down? I know some car hire companies will waive the deposit if you buy the extra insurance
OP Dennis999 24 Oct 2013
In reply to pauljackson:

Thanks Paul, been looking at Centauro
 Ron Walker 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:
Not sure about the deposit but AFAIA ALL hire companies will look for a valid credit card. We just pay for the car and topup in the UK but the companies will try and insist on their own insurance which you decline and they ALL will want to see your Driving License and Credit Card when you pick up the car. I'd worry about a company that only takes cash!!!!!
OP Dennis999 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:

I know they'll need a credit card at the time but do they put the €300 or so block on it if you buy the extra insurance?
 Ron Walker 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:
> (In reply to Ron Walker)
>
> I know they'll need a credit card at the time but do they put the €300 or so block on it if you buy the extra insurance?

Not sure what you mean, they don't take it off the card unless of course you return it damaged.

See below:

'...Top Up Package Includes:
Collision Damage Waiver - CDW
Damage to 3rd Parties
Civil liability
Theft Protection
Underside Damage
Damage to roof - bonnet
Tyres-blow-out
Wheel trims
Vehicle Glass
Wing Mirrors

NOT Incorrect Fueling
NOT Traffic Fines
NOT Driver Negligence

Top Up insurance is an excess redemption policy. You may still be required to leave a credit card deposit and will have to settle any charges lvied locally in the first instance. You may then submit a claim for reimbursement up to a maximum cover value of £ 2000.00 (or equivalent in another currency). You must submit your claim within 30 days of the return of the rented vehicle...'
 ElbowsB 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Dennis999:
I've not had any 'block' or deposit charges. I always pay the top-up insurance. You do generally have to pay by credit card.
 Andy Say 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to Dennis999)
> [...]
>
> Not sure what you mean, they don't take it off the card unless of course you return it damaged.
>

Ron,

I've certainly had the deposit TAKEN and transferred to the the hire companies account in Malaga because I wouldn't buy their insurance. It was returned at the end of the hire OK but the bank transfer charges both ways set me back about £30.

Andy
 Andy Say 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Dennis999:
I'm off to Alicante myself soon. Shopping around on the web a direct hire from Sol-Mar seems reasonable. Whilst their basic charge is a bit more than some of the others offered they are 1. on-airport, 2. you know who you are getting and 3. they do give the full / full option for an extra 30eu rather than charging you £80 for a tank whether you use it or not.
Any experiences of Sol-Mar?
 Martin Bennett 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Say:
> (In reply to Dennis999)

> Any experiences of Sol-Mar?

I've used Solmar, albeit a while ago, they seemed fine. I've tried most of 'em and my experience is there's not that much difference in the end. Some you pay more and get full to full thus paying only for the fuel you use. Others charge practically nothing for rental but make their money on the fuel. I've been pricing just now for a proposed December trip and find:
Goldcar and many others: £25 rental + say £90 to fill tank = £120
Laracars:£75 rental + £52 to fill tank = £127
Solmar full to full: £61 rental + the fuel you use say £40 = £101

Assuming any difference is shared between 2 to 4 people it's not worth worrying about, tho' from that, if I do go direct, I reckon Solmar will get our business.
Putting an amount on your credit card against any excess that might be needed is normal and has never cost me anything in card or currency exchange charges. Maybe that happens if you use a debit card?

Shop around and you'll find a deal with zero excess but be aware that will exclude eg roof, underside, glass etc etc. If you take out an annual excess refund policy for about £45 it will cover all those things.

If you decide to book through an agency I reckon Auto-Europe are best.

Europcar (not to be confused with Auto-Europe mentioned above) are prone to claiming your car is excessively dirty and charging variable amounts, depending, it seems, on location, for "extra cleaning". Now this IS daylight robbery. They asked us for 135 Euros in Corsica in September; the car had a few pine needles and bits of grit on the carpets - we cleaned it ourselves there and then.

nniff 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Dennis999:

I've given up - there used to be some good deals around, but it was always a voyage into the unknown with dodgy agents filling out forms at an airport cafe.

These days, we just go mainstream - Avis, Hertz, Budget or Europcar with BMC discount and an annual car hire excess insurance policy for £40. I try and go for a 'bring back full deal' but last time, Italy, the best deal was 'bring back empty'. I reckon it was about 5 miles from running out when they got it back!

We also tend to be realistic when it comes to drivers - far cheaper to have just one nominated driver.
 dan bulman 14 Nov 2013
we've just got back. used 'firefly' through elephant car hire. their customer service (from a port a cabin) in the car park was terrible.

nice as pie until they tried to sell us their own insurance, which we refused to as we'd already bought it through allianze(?) on the initial booking to protect the cdw. (an extra £40)
they just about threw the keys at us and wouldn't even tell us where the car was. another chap said they were refusing to give them back his credit card and another couple ended up having a stand up row about it!

our car hire voucher had warned us of this scam they would try. but if they're doing it to everyone then they should not be used. its very tempting when they are saying our insurance is not recognised by them.

there seemed to be a big cue for centauro who i've heard good reports from.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...