UKC

What's Seattle like for climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mike Lewis 23 Oct 2013
I'm thinking about moving to Seattle for work. It looks amazing for skiing and alpine stuff, but how's the rock climbing? What's the traffic like for escaping the city on a weekend? I gather the weather isn't always fantastic - but I live in Scotland now, and it can't be any worse than that, right?

Thanks!
 alasdair19 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Lewis: i lived in vancouver so pretty similar climate ie much much better than scotland!

The climbing for weekend hits is world class though americans define 5 hours as reasonable! squamish is less than that as is leavenworth.

frankly mike its a no brainer! the "scene" has a good reputation for friendliness and the chicks will find the uk accent cute...
 Neil Mackenzie 23 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Lewis:

as with alasdairs post; i moved to vancouver earlier this summer and the 'bad' weather on the pacific NW is a load of nonsense! if you've lived anywhere in Scotland you'll find the climate here awesome (admittedly this has been a particularly good summer)

and as for winter, im just shaking in my boots waiting for the snow to come

in terms of good rock climbing from seattle, i have been to Washington pass which would be about 3hrs drive for you, and that is impeccable mtn rock routes with really easy access. you also have leavenworth close by which is supposed to be sweet and it aint too far a drive upto squamish. Smith rocks in Oregon is probably about 6hrs away, and ill tell you what thats like in a few weeks after we make the pilgrimage!

So long as you are prepared to drive anything upto 5hrs you will have access to some truely world class destinations

(Disclaimer: despite having a full summer climbing at squamish and beyond, my favourite climbing this year was a week of pure sunshine on the Ben and in the Coe in May just before i left Scotland - but thats probably cos im a sentimental old bugger!)
Mike Lewis 25 Oct 2013
Thanks, sounds good
 rlines 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Neil Mackenzie: 'i moved to vancouver earlier this summer and the 'bad' weather on the pacific NW is a load of nonsense!'

hahaha, yes, Vancouver does enjoy a strong summer high pressure system that refuses to budge. Just wait till that breaks! You wont see a dry sky for weeks at a time!

A few years ago, they thought they were getting a record of days of consecutive rain, something like 30. It stopped 1 day short of the record, and after the 1 dry day, rained for another 30! All good as it falls as snow on the higher ground tho.

Yes, I'm bitter about having to return from N.Van to the UK..
 Fraser 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike Lewis:

For the past 7 years or so, my wife has lived in north Seattle for 9 months a year. She loves it there and although not a climber, gives me the 'heavy sell' regarding the general outdoors scene in the NW. Weather wise it's very similar to here on teh west coast of Scotland, but generally their summers are longer and better. ("that doesn't mean much!", I hear you cry) I'm hoping to get over there reasonably soon to check it out so I'll be interested to see what you decide.
 Neil Mackenzie 25 Oct 2013
In reply to rlines:

so everyone tells me..... but as you say, if its snowing high up i can cope with the rain in town - im at work anyways! i guess greyness is something you have to accept through the winter

this summer was record 31days of continuous sunshine in july/august, and its still sunny in squamish!!! im assuming the Ben and Coe arent still in for big rock routes????

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...