UKC

First trip to Lakedistrict

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charliehl 23 Oct 2013
Hi,

We are going to the lakes for 4 days mid November.
Where would you camp (campervan), what walks would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice

Charlie
 butteredfrog 23 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

Personally I would head for north lakes, someware around Keswick, more to do if the weather is rubbish.
 climber34neil 24 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl: depends on what you want to do really, head to grassmere then you have options for short and long walks from there eg silver how, loughrigg, Fairfield horseshoe , also easy access to Ambleside and Keswick , walk to Ambleside via loughrigg fell, buy some shiney new gear, have a pint in the golden rule and wander back along the coffin route and rydel hall. If you want to be a bit more out of the way then head to langdale , eskdale ( campsite in boot) or wasdale
 Geordie Jeans 24 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl: Must try ghyll scrambling. Check out www.cragsadventures.com and check us out on tripadvisor. Unbelievable fun whatever the weather brings.
 GrahamD 24 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

I think you need to tell us a bit more about what sort of walking you want to do, whether you want to camp remotely or near facilities etc.
In reply to charliehl: There's plenty of Lake District Route Cards on UKH, to get you started: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/find.php
OP charliehl 24 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:
Thank you for the advice so far. We would like some good all day walks. There are two of us and a dog, would like in the hills, strenuous but on paths.
Would be great to base our selves at a campsite and walk from there rather than have to drive each day to the start.
Is this possible? Happy to do the research my self, would appreciate pointing in the right direction.

Thank you

Charlie
 Tall Clare 24 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

Langdale is a great campsite for having lots of routes 'from the door' rather than having to drive anywhere.
 peter-l 24 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

Probably not the cheapest option (expensive if you are not a member) but we have found Camping and Caravanning Club site at the Oval/Walker Park in Keswick to be great - really close to town (10 minute walk) and close to loads of great walking straight from the site.
 John Kelly 25 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

Langdale campsite

1 climbing wall
2 drying rooms
3 pubs
4 great hill walking days (before you recross your path)
5 great crags (there's probably more but i've got a theme)

also 8 miles to ambleside for pictures and pizza - 516 bus take you there
20 miles to kendal wall

pics of the area and the site
https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites

cost per night
£3.25 for backpackers
£8.25 tents or campervans (incl tent,adult,car)
additional ad £5.50

google national trust campsite great langdale for more

john

James Jackson 25 Oct 2013
In reply to John Kelly:

... and it's in a stunning setting.
 GrahamD 25 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

The Langdale, Wasdale head or Sykeside would probably all fit the bill with plenty of good walking circuits doable directly from all 3. And they all have pubs on the doorstep.
OP charliehl 25 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

Brilliant, Langdale it is.
One last question, what is a good guide book for the area?

Charlie
 John Kelly 27 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:

you can't beat a good map - AA do a central lakes walking map - it works

also

Great Mountain Days in the Lake District: 50 Great Routes: 50 Classic Routes Exploring the Lakeland Fells

both on amazon

routes from langdale in good weather

Langdale Pikes
Bowfell (and crinckle if weather is fair)
Scafell - 5 miles to the top - not the easiest way up

poor weather

side pike and lingmoor
chapel stile to grasmere

bad weather

pub, climbing wall or zefferelis

BnB 27 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:
> (In reply to charliehl)
>
> Brilliant, Langdale it is.
> One last question, what is a good guide book for the area?
>
> Charlie

Wainwright's "Pictorial guides to the Lakeland Fells" aren't just the best guides to the area's mountains. They are quite simply the best guidebooks ever produced. In fact much of the explosion in hillwalking in the latter part of the 20th century can be laid firmly at Wainwright's door. They are not so much a compendium of great walks as a heartfelt love letter to the mountains. If that sounds off putting, don't be. They are incredibly easy to read and use. Every guidebook produced since has borrowed from the format Wainwright perfected, none has improved on it.

There are seven volumes in the series. For Langdale you want volumes 3 and 4, the Central and Southern Fells. The latter would be my Desert Island book. Honestly. They are masterpieces.
 John Kelly 27 Oct 2013
In reply to BnB:

you are, of course, absolutely right about the wainwright guides

john
OP charliehl 27 Oct 2013
In reply to charliehl:
I was hoping the Wainwright series were as good as they look.
I will buy them.

Charlie
In reply to charliehl: wainwright books are not just for the hills. They are good for when you dream of being in the hills. Open the pages and there you are. I never get bored of reading them.
In reply to charliehl: There's a really good wild camping spot near Coniston if you want to save on camping fees. Think it must be tolerated because I always see people camping there, i've seen people set up there own campsites! The NT campsites are beautiful but they're expensive - although if it's your first time to the lakes probably worth it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...