UKC

Winter Climbing, Crampon Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EDB4YLI55 24 Oct 2013
Hello,

Im upgrading my set of crampons, I'd quite like to stick with Petzl as I've no issues with them, however I need C3 crampons for my B3 boots now, I'm heading Scotland in the new year to get some Grade I and II gullys under my belt, will be only be my second winter up there with the idea of some more experienced people showing me the alps later in 2014 - the only way we're going to learn, off others.

I'd really appreciate some advice.

I currently have the Scarpa Jorasses Pro GTX as my B3 boots and did me well last year along with my new Black Diamond Viper ice axes, really good do with a great set of crampons.

All suggestions welcome. Thank you!
 CurlyStevo 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Iskassasya:
Can I ask what crampons you have already?
 Ron Walker 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Iskassasya:

All C1,2 and 3 crampons should fit your B3 boots, so your old ones will fit too!

As a general purpose crampon I'd recommend Grivel G12's with a Newmatic (plastic toe bale and heel lever) binding or similar 12 pt models from Petzl such as the Vasak or Sarken and Black Diamond models such as the Sabretooth and Serac.

I'd stay well clear of more technical crampons with a wire toe-bale until you are climbing Grade 5 and above and even then you'll still get away with G12's!
 neilwiltshire 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Iskassasya:

I would definitely go for the Grivel G12. I've climbed up to WI5 in these, and while I am thinking of going for the G14s for the upcoming season, I would still highly recommend the G12s. I will continue using mine for anything but purely steep ice.
 CurlyStevo 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:
> As a general purpose crampon I'd recommend Grivel G12's with a Newmatic (plastic toe bale and heel lever) binding or similar 12 pt models from Petzl such as the Vasak or Sarken and Black Diamond models such as the Sabretooth and Serac.

agreed.
OP EDB4YLI55 24 Oct 2013
Hello, Thanks all for replying to this.

I think your advice has been great. I can't wait for the winter season now.

Thanks all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...