UKC

Who has the right of way here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 24 Oct 2013
Setup is this:

Two lanes going into Nottingham through West Bridgford. Left lane is designated bus & bike, right lane other traffic, with the 2 lanes separated by a solid white line.

Approaching a side road on the left, the line goes dotted, so that drivers can turn left without crossing the solid line.

So do I have to stop cycling & allow left turners in front of me as the cycle/bus lane has ceased to exist for 100 yards? Or is it simply a case that it is now a standard 2 lane road & anyone wanting to move to the inner lane needs to check it's not occupied.

I say the latter. Shouty Mr Motorist the former.

Streetview:

http://goo.gl/maps/vXGft

Overhead view:

http://goo.gl/maps/SIHrn

balmybaldwin 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Harris:

Quite clearly traffic in the right lane has to give way to traffic already in the left lane.

Next time ask shout mr motorist if he would think the same if you were a bus.
 Toby S 24 Oct 2013

No you still have right of way and they should be checking and indicating to show that they're moving left. They shouldn't just pile in and expect anyone already in that lane to give way. Although obviously a certain degree of anticipation is required, but it doesn't look anyone turning left is given a huge amount of space or time to get themselves set up to cross the junction.
 deanstonmassif 24 Oct 2013

Any vehicle wishing to cross into the inside lane needs to make sure it is clear and safe for them to do so. The ending of the cycle/bus lane means that the lane reverts to a standard traffic lane; both lanes then have equal 'status'.

Not surprising really. Nor, presumably, the inattention of the motorist in your case.

Nick
 Ramblin dave 24 Oct 2013
Whoever pays the most road tax, obviously.
OP Chris Harris 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to Chris Harris)
> Whoever pays the most road tax, obviously.

Good point.

His line was that as I was leaving a cycle lane & going onto a bit of standard road, I should be looking to make sure the road is clear.

Ramblin dave 24 Oct 2013
If that was the case you'd expect there to be a "give way" sign at the end, surely?
 MikeSP 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Harris: Looks like there is no dotted give way line at the end of the bus/cycle lane, so I think you were in the right.
 ti_pin_man 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Harris: theres a dotted line, these always mean if you cross them you dont have right of way.
 Neil Williams 24 Oct 2013

The latter. People thinking it's the former tend to have their cars smashed up by buses.

If it was the former there would be a dotted line across the *end* of the bus lane.

Neil

With respect to various dotted lines:

There is a dotted line across the inside lane where the bus/bike lane restarts after the junction, but no similar line where it ends just before the junction.

The line separating the 2 lanes is solid, except for this area near the junction.
 Neil Williams 24 Oct 2013

In general if you have to cross a dotted line to do something on the road you do NOT have priority in doing it.

Neil
 Welsh Kate 24 Oct 2013
What would he have shouted if you'd been a bus instead of a cyclist?
In reply to balmybaldwin:
>
> Quite clearly traffic in the right lane has to give way to traffic already in the left lane.
>
> Next time ask shout mr motorist if he would think the same if you were a bus.

Or his child ...

Had a run in with a shouty motorist some weeks ago and made the same point to him -- whilst his kids were in the car. The kids just looked at him and he shut up!

MG 24 Oct 2013

> So do I have to stop cycling & allow left turners in front of me as the cycle/bus lane has ceased to exist for 100 yards?

Doesn't it depend on whether the situation was

1) The driver pulled directly into you or very closely in front of you. Driver's fault, your RoW. (Think bus as above) or

2) The driver pulled in to the lane clearly in front of you and then indicated left. In this case your fault, driver's RoW.
 toad 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Harris: I'm suprised you found anyone in a car who pays a blind bit of notice to any bus lane in Rushcliffe. - It's something of a personal bete noir of mine, together with the no right turn off Trent Bridge onto the Embankment that everybody ignores and no one enforces.

You were right. Mr Shouty was an impatient arse
 ebygomm 24 Oct 2013
In reply to toad:

Do they not have bus lane enforcement cameras in Rushcliffe? Most of the ones in Nottingham are enforced now
 JamButty 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris Harris: Give way to the driver, he might be in the wrong but you'll be dead.
 Martin W 24 Oct 2013
In reply to JamButty: There's a difference between choosing to give way because it errs on the side of caution (or even politeness) even though it's actually your right of way, and being forced to give way because you'd be dead if you didn't.

I realise that Chris hasn't clarified the exact sequence of events in his example.

(I don't think the driver of the M-series BMW who pulled out on me at the roundabout near work yesterday morning was worried whether I chose to give way or was forced to, so long as I ended up behind him.)
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Chris Harris) - It's something of a personal bete noir of mine, together with the no right turn off Trent Bridge onto the Embankment that everybody ignores and no one enforces.

Not had that one for a while. I think the road closures for the tram works have helped.
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Do they not have bus lane enforcement cameras in Rushcliffe? Most of the ones in Nottingham are enforced now.

Not that I've noticed. Mr Shouty might argue that that bit isn't a bus lane, so no camera needed regardless.

In reply to JamButty:
> (In reply to Chris Harris) Give way to the driver, he might be in the wrong but you'll be dead.

Thanks for that, never occurred to me. Idiot.

toad 24 Oct 2013
In reply to ebygomm: No. You'd think Rushcliffe wouldn't pass an income stream like that up, would you?
 ebygomm 24 Oct 2013

http://goo.gl/oI4aB7

This was my 'favourite' area for lane related incidents when commuting into Nottingham on the bike
In reply to ebygomm: Last minute lane change opportunities aplenty there.

This is another favourite, the Trent Bridge/Lady Bay Bridge junction, with 6 roads converging on the same spot.

http://goo.gl/maps/tv1j5

nniff 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> Had a run in with a shouty motorist some weeks ago and made the same point to him -- whilst his kids were in the car. The kids just looked at him and he shut up!

Nice line - filed for future reference
 Trevers 27 Oct 2013
In reply to JamButty:
> (In reply to Chris Harris) Give way to the driver, he might be in the wrong but you'll be dead.

Do you have any idea how dangerous a precedent would be set if all cyclists always gave way when it was their right of way?
 Mike-W-99 27 Oct 2013
Only one lane but it terrifies me every time I cycle on it. The left hand turn is onto a cars only dual carriageway.

http://goo.gl/96Pc9s
 Trevers 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> Only one lane but it terrifies me every time I cycle on it. The left hand turn is onto a cars only dual carriageway.
>
> http://goo.gl/96Pc9s

Do you use the cycle lane? I would be much happier taking the primary past that turning. Probably wait until after the turning before even entering the cycle lane at all. Ever had any close calls there?
 argyle_dude 27 Oct 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:
>
> Quite clearly traffic in the right lane has to give way to traffic already in the left lane.
>
> Next time ask shout mr motorist if he would think the same if you were a bus.

I saw someone do this once while sat on a bus, no surprise, the bus won!
 Mike-W-99 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Trevers:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
> [...]
>
> Do you use the cycle lane? I would be much happier taking the primary past that turning. Probably wait until after the turning before even entering the cycle lane at all. Ever had any close calls there?
Its a route I try to avoid, its also uphill. I just cycle fast and hope for the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...