UKC

Today's young women live with constant surveillance ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Fraser 24 Oct 2013
I came across this blog
http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penny/2013/10/todays-young-women-live-co...
by Laurie Penny on the News Stateman website while contemplating that new "Brand" of revolution that is upon us this week.

It reveals an unsightly trend that I had not been aware of previously that involves creatures that pretend to be human, and pretend to be responsible parents, eating into their offsprings' rights, and thus self-worth and emotional stability, in a way that I have never thought responsible, or even sane.

"Would you put a camera in your daughter’s bedroom? Gordon Ramsay ... boasted jokily on Jonathan Ross that he’d done just that to his fifteen-year old ... . Barbara Ellen jumped to his defence in the Guardian, explaining that she has installed a webcam to spy on her own teenage daughter just to check that she is always doing her schoolwork when she should be. ..."

It's not that I had never come across such behaviour before. It's that I had naively imagined that the bitch was ... exceptional.

=============================================

http://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Convention_ENG.pdf
OP Jim Fraser 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Quoted by Penny, from Madeline Ashby.

"Apparently, it took the preponderance of closed-circuit television cameras for some men to feel the intensity of the gaze that women have almost always been under … It took Facebook. It took geo-location. That spirit of performativity you have about your citizenship now? That sense that someone’s peering over your shoulder, watching everything you do and say and think and choose? That feeling of being observed? It’s not a new facet of life in the 21st century. It’s what it feels like for a girl."

teflonpete 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:

WTF? Who would want to see what their teenage daughter was getting up to in the privacy of her own room? I've got a daughter, soon to be 15, she's a bright kid, we've had the talk about only adding friends on fb she's already met in person and to be on the lookout for grooming and I trust her to get on with it. I've got no need whatsoever to see what else she gets up to and get told by the school if she's under-performing in lessons or not handing homework in on time. Why would any parent want to risk seeing their child exploring their own body in their own time or something like that? Ugh!
 Lukem6 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser: to start with "To be a white, middle-class male in this society is to live without a certain sort of scrutiny that people from other demographics grow up expecting.."

The white middle-class male, aka: the only demographic that can be mislabelled with more prejudice than any other group, and to top it off we have none for us to cry out about.

I'm not sure about middle class but I know for certain I have been scrutinised as a racist(that's right I'm playing the race card now), sexist, ageist and elitist. Probably a ton of other prejudices without realising it, and has it been realistic to claim to be a victim, No.

As far as the rest of the article goes, my mother used to tip out my draws and turn over my bed to discard my, erm.... hobby magazines, booze and my erm inflatable hats.
Not sure how that differs from using modern technology to protect and disciplined your child in your home, especially when they can use that tech to misbehave. Privacy is a privilege that comes with trusts when living at home, should my parents have trusted me or my sisters, definitely not. Did my mother always find something, yes. If she didn't she would have trusted me.
 Toby S 24 Oct 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

What you said!

And quite frankly I don't want to be staring at her shit tip of a room any more than I possibly have to!

Filters etc are on the internet along with parental controls on the phone and we have regular chats about being safe on the internet but that's all we do.
 toad 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser: I guess the cook in question regards his daughter as part of Brand Ramsay and wouldn't want them caught doing anything that would effect the share price
 planetmarshall 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Lukem6:

> The white middle-class male, aka: the only demographic that can be mislabelled with more prejudice than any other group, and to top it off we have none for us to cry out about.
>

Yes, we white middle class males have it hard. Actually no, that's bollocks.

youtube.com/watch?v=x8ndn3hqg-Y&
In reply to Jim Fraser: Hmmmn... I'm 31, I live 150 miles from my mum. But I know what she's like. I'm going to check my room.
 toad 24 Oct 2013
In reply to planetmarshall:
> (In reply to Lukem6)
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, we white middle class males have it hard. Actually no, that's bollocks.
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=x8ndn3hqg-Y&

indeed, or even

youtube.com/watch?v=34u_3Z9_LUw&
Ken Lewis 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Take one incident from a single obnoxioustw*t and ascribe the behaviour to the whole male population and use it as propaganda to further her 'issues'.

Yep, that's Laurie.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...