UKC

Posting letters and parcels - dangerous item and weapons!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Walker 24 Oct 2013
I posted a couple of items from two different Post Offices recently and in both I was asked if the item "was dangerous or a weapon...?"

One was a pair of ice axes and I was asked if it could be used as a weapon!

The other item was a WC wire in a small envelope which was being sent back to Wild Country due to the recent recall and I was asked if the wire was dangerous!

I felt like I was going through customs at an airport.

Apart from the obvious jokey comments are "is it dangerous or a weapon..." declarations now standard procedure at the 'new' Post Office?

A bemused Ron!
 Neil Williams 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:

There have been a few new restrictions introduced - the ones I've heard of relate to lithium batteries, the reason being that post is often sent by air, and shorting lithium batteries are not something you want in the cargo hold of a plane.

Neil
 Sharp 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker: Don't ever go in sweating and tell them to be careful with a look of panic and fear on your face, they don't have a sense of humour.
 pog100 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:
> I posted a couple of items from two different Post Offices recently and in both I was asked if the item "was dangerous or a weapon...?"
>
> One was a pair of ice axes and I was asked if it could be used as a weapon!
>
Trotsky might have an opinion on that....

Glyno 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:
>
> One was a pair of ice axes and I was asked if it could be used as a weapon!
>
> The other item was a WC wire in a small envelope which was being sent back to Wild Country due to the recent recall and I was asked if the wire was dangerous!
>
>
> A bemused Ron!

To be fair to the person behind the counter, he/she probably wasn't as knowledgeable regarding climbing hardware as you obviously are.
I wouldn't really consider it too silly a question to ask.
 Niall 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Ron Walker:

"Not as dangerous as a no.11 Hex, love"
 spearing05 25 Oct 2013
In reply to pog100: That's one of those things where you go your whole life without ever heating about it then have it referenced twice in a couple of weeks.

Looked it up and came to the conclusion the was a translation error at some point and it has stuck. The assassin mentions taking the weapon out of his pocket and placing it on the table. Not exactly likely that an ice axe from 1940 would fit in a pocket or even be a handy weapon in Mexico. Ice pick perhaps a la Sharon Stone in basic instinct?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...