UKC

Corvus then Cams Crag ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 25 Oct 2013
Is parking at Stonethwaite, walking into Combe Ghyll doing Corvus then going over and descending Cams Crag ridge and back to car along Langstrath a reasonable idea for tomorrow?
Cheers sjc
 Calder 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc: More logical would be to come down intake ridge. You're suggestion adds several miles - mostly flat, like, but if it were me i'd be able to think of nothing except that I could be in the pub already if I dropped back into Combe Ghyll.
 Tom Last 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc:

I something like this in the Spring, although we descended to Cam Crags, we weren't aware of the ridge so just came down a gully. It may add several extra miles, but they are for the most part in Langstrath, so that's no bad thing. Was dry when we did it, but I wouldn't have though Corvus would be much harder in the wet. There were a lot of new fences about up there, but the way was pretty well trod and I think there were styles from memory. Good day out we thought.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc:
If the forecast is right then you'll probably want to descend as soon as you possibly can!
Clauso 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc:

I think that you'd be better off ascending Cam Crag Ridge and then dropping down Combe Door in to the start of Corvus.
J1234 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc: It`s only 2.8 miles from the foot of Cams Crag back to Stonethawite, thats not so bad. Really more interested if Corvus would be a good route to do tomorrow, and if from the top of it I have a lot of height to gain to get on Cams Crag or can I countour round.
Clauso 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc:

You can pretty much contour around, to the top of Cam Crag, once you've finished Corvus... I take it that you are aware that Cam Crag ridge is Grade 1 scrambling? Depending on the route that you take, it also has a few moves of Grade 2 thrown in there, too. You'll need to be careful descending it if it's wet. That said, it's usually possible to skirt the scrambling if necessary.
Clauso 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc:

This site has some good photos of what to expect if you decide to descend alongside Combe Gill from Combe Door, to the start of Corvus, rather than tackle Cam Crag Ridge in descent:

http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2012/10%20Oct/01.10.12.htm
In reply to sjc:

From what I can remember the ground between the top of Corvus and the top of Cam Crag Ridge can be fairly heavy going, boggy in quite a lot of places with little in the way of distinct tracks. I went up Cam Crag Ridge and descended in to Combe Ghyll one dryish summer and still had difficulty finding a way that was dry underfoot.

Good luck!
J1234 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Clauso: Thanks for that, my target is Woof stones really and using cam crag to drop down on it and would not do anything daft, and would skirt difficulties, but as LoS says it`s boggy up there which I had not considered.
 victorclimber 25 Oct 2013
In reply to sjc: we used to do it for training generally before winter ,and usually in crap weather ,but always good and tiring..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...