UKC

Recommend me a bouldering mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 25 Oct 2013
Hi! Looking to get a first bouldering mat, and would appreciate recommendations.

Criteria:

* can take on an aeroplane
* good for bouldering

Budget: <= 150 quid

Don't know anyone who boulders, so thought I'd ask here. Thanks for any recommendations or suggestions of how to pick one.
 drolex 25 Oct 2013
In reply to humptydumpty: Metolius Boss Hogg? I bought one for £149 months ago. Can't remember where. I think it was bananafingers but is £159 now. And don't know what you mean by "can take on an aeroplane". I am kinda useless I know but the mat is good at least.

I guess the best way to pick one is to read reviews. The only big alternative is taco or not, but apart from that I guess it is down to experience with them. Hard to tell in the shop which will be good or not.

(humptydumpty needs a mat, hihi)
 mattrm 25 Oct 2013
In reply to humptydumpty:
> or suggestions of how to pick one.

There doesn't seem to be any way of telling how good a bouldering mat is. Apart from recommendations. All the manufacturers bang on about the quality of their foam. But I do wonder if just going to the local fabric shop and buying a load of furniture foam would achieve the same result and cost a fraction of the price.

drolex 25 Oct 2013
In reply to mattrm: The density of the layers of foam and their respective position (up, middle, bottom) is supposed to make a difference. In theory at least. The downside of this layering system is that you have to choose beforehand from which height you expect to fall, as some designs are supposed to save you from twisting an ankle after a 2m fall but will break your neck if you fall 50cm.
 Durbs 25 Oct 2013
In reply to humptydumpty:

Size & fold-type are the main issues, and these can both come down to preference.

Bigger can equal more confidence, but equally can be a pain to lay down if you're bouldering in cramped area. Smaller mats can look very small when you're freaked out on a high problem.

Fold types = Hinges fold flatter, so for taking on a plane might make more sense. Some people find the hinge area a bit of a risk area for landing though.

I think I'm right in saying any small/medium mat when folded will just about count as a suitcase for check-in. Large ones will probably count as sports equipment and attract a fee, or, if flying Ryanair, an organ donation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...