UKC

How to clean/rejuvenate stainless steel sink

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 26 Oct 2013
I'm putting my old stainless steel sink back into my kitchen and want to give it a good clean up before it goes in, I reckon I should be able to get it looking pretty new but interested to hear any suggestions.

Was thinking just using bicarb and a half used washing up sponge.

Any other suggestions, brasso? Is wire wool too scratchy? Is the sponge too scratchy?

Cheers

Ben
 Ashley 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Giving it a wipe over with some baby oil (seriously!) will make it shine.
 marsbar 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp: White vinegar is good for getting rid of limescale.
andic 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Jif/cif and some lemon juice or vinegar
OP Sharp 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp: oh dear, now theres too many options! Looks like the only thing to do is to mix every household fluid in a bucket, pour it over the sink with a dash of petrol and set fire to it.
 jimtitt 26 Oct 2013
In reply to andic:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)
>
> Jif/cif and some lemon juice or vinegar

That´s about it, we use citric acid to clean and passivate our stainless bolts together with ceramic abrasive. A mix of Cif and concentrated lemon juice 8somewhere around 12% and wear gloves)is the same, or of course you just buy some stainless steel cleaner!
 xplorer 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp:

How about using some good old elbow grease.

I don't know how some people get by in life
 gethin_allen 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp:
Wd40 works well for cleaning stainless steel, baby oil also works but not quite so well.
chad halfwit 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp: bar keepers friend, the stuff is amazing.....
 Andrew Wilson 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp:
Best thing I've found is Autosol. Will remove small rust spots and light scratches. Available at Halfords type places.
 DancingOnRock 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Sharp: Halfords rubbing compound.
OP Sharp 27 Oct 2013
Cheers for everyone's suggestions (apart from xplorer's obviously). I used the jif and lemon juice and it worked really well, not far off looking like brand new and I'm glad I decided to reuse it.

Ended up using fine wire wool to get the scratches out, will do the tap today as well (although it's not as bad) before putting it back on.

Cheers

Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...