UKC

Whats the weather like in Portland????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PhilMW 26 Oct 2013
Hi guys and dolls,
I was hoping someone could give me the heads up as to the actual weather in Portland this weekend. I've looked on BBC weather but yesterday it said lots of rain today and today it says lots of rain tmoz.
 JIMBO 26 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW: right now it's rubbish
OP PhilMW 26 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW: Ahh. I'm looking at the webcam up at the heights and it doesn't look too good. I don't want to commit to a 2.5 hour drive to find I cant climb. Thanks for the heads up!!!!
OP PhilMW 26 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW: Thanks to all you that look at this post and not comment!!! Muchos bloody gracias!!
 jimtitt 26 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW:
That´s o.k. Since it´s 23° and cloudless here we just wanted to gloat a bit!
 ConstaBern 26 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW: Not raining currently but still fairly damp and very very windy. Meant to be wet tomorrow too I think.
 Puppythedog 26 Oct 2013
In reply to ConstaBern: Some loo for an answer without having one themselves.
 David_Gledson 26 Oct 2013
In reply to p. Hi Philoosh. I for one am unfortunately nowhere near the area that you are asking about, but have still looked at the thread because I'm interested in how people ask these kind of things(having done similar myself on a couple of occasions). This will show as a view on the counter, but due to me being in North Yorkshire I cannot help with a conditions/weather update. Please do not think that everybody that views this thread and doesn't reply is ignoring you, I guess that most people who look at it will not be in a position to help.

I hope the weather is kind to you and you manage to get out climbing.

All the best

David
 ColinVern 26 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW: Was down there today, very damp and I can't imagine it drying up any time soon with all the rain forecast. I was at the cuttings though, so for all I know the other crags could be bone dry!
 Calder 26 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW:
> (In reply to PhilMW) Thanks to all you that look at this post and not comment!!! Muchos bloody gracias!!

You got your answer, so does it matter? And maybe others were also wondering whether Portland was worth a punt.
 Niall_H 27 Oct 2013
In reply to ColinVern and Philoosh:

I was there today, too: the Western side started horribly wet but improved and the Eastern side started a bit wet and vastly improved (we even had sun!). Biggest issue for us, at Cheyne Weares, was sea spray from the waves, rather than rain on the rock. But, given that the waves were growing in size through the day, that may well be even more of an issue on Sunday!

OP PhilMW 27 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW: I'm looking mainly at the battleship area or the blacknor north area so to all those that gave advice , my thanks
Helen Heanes 27 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW:
Hi. Your main problem today is going to be the wind.
It's currently gusting 53knots and minimum do force 6 south westerly, which is really too windy for the west coast. If coming to Portland, you'd be better at the cuttings.
It's also rained a lot overnight, so there is more chance that the rock will be dry at the cuttings

Helen
 steve taylor 27 Oct 2013
In reply to PhilMW:

We were all out climbing.

I use www.raintoday.co.uk to get an accurate idea of the rain that's coming in...

In fairness, it didn't stop raining until after lunch, and there were still drainage streaks as the sun set.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...