UKC

Mtn Equip Morpheus - new GTX Pro??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bluebird 26 Oct 2013
Hi All - was under the impression that the Morpheus is made from the new GTX Pro (ePTFE).. but now having purchased one and having a look through the bumpf I'm not so sure?.. Cotswold Outdoor describe the ePTFE in the Goretex thus:
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-equipment-mens-morpheus-jacket-2013...
but looking at ME website and other sites selling the same jacket, they appear to differentiate the new 3-layer ePTFE GTX Pro, from this 3-layer ePTFE GTX used in the Morpheus...

any product guru's tell me what I've just bought please GTX-wise?? I prefer the fit of this to the Lhotse (pockets more accesible under a harness, and bigger in the Morpheus) and the Tupilak is over-engineered for what I want.
thanks
 Jack_Lewin 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Bluebird:

Is there a rip stop style grid on the grey backer? If so its new pro shell, if not it's old style.
OP Bluebird 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Jack_Lewin: not really sure what that means tbh, but the inside looks similar to my older GTX's ie same smooth grey surface and taped seams etc..
I'm thinking I've got the std 3-layer ePTFE and not the new ePTFE/Pro one... the design of the jacket and what I'll be using it for, it's nigh on perfect. should be the same level of waterproofness just less breathability by the sounds of things.. I think for winter hill walking and climbing it should do well... not sure I'd really need the new Pro... just trying to understand what I've just bought!
thanks
 Jack_Lewin 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Bluebird:

It sounds like you have the older proshell, the new one has a very different backer to the old.

I own an old proshell and have tested the new, it didn't make me want to replace the older jacket.

So if your happy with it then it's all good. Id expect a bit of discount on an old style proshell jacket though.
OP Bluebird 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Jack_Lewin: cool, thanks Jack.
they've tweaked the design in the new Morpheus for 2013 using their new Alpine fit which means for skinny climbing runts like me, it fits well albeit being made with the old Pro. I guess it's price point is intended to be below the Lhotse and Tupilak produced in the new Pro. I figured they were more expensive since they had extra design features like pit zips and Alpine hoods... it turns out they're made of diff fabrics also.. however I think on balance, the Morpheus ticks all my boxes and has nothing I won't need..it's clear to see what next years iteration of the Morpheus will be made with though..

thanks for the reassurance - much obliged.
tron 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Bluebird: It's neither old or new style Pro, it's just plain Gore tex - what used to be Performance.
EvanDavies 29 Oct 2013
In reply to tron: It's old style pro, exactly the same as it was before
In reply to Bluebird:

It's the old Pro construction, now rebranded as Gore-Tex and with this model having higher denier fabric reinforcements on the shoulders, arms and hips and perhaps a slightly closer fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...