UKC

Recommend me one of those stick blender things

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 27 Oct 2013
As per the title, the soup thread has convinced me to get one of these beasts.

Looking around amazon etc it seems clear that there are plenty of negative reviews for the most expensive models leading me to think they're not all they're cracked up to be. Similarly there are plenty of reviews of mid price big name branded models saying they are heaps of plasticky junk that don't last.

Don't mind paying a bit for durability but I know ukc will come up with the perfect recommendation.
 Philip 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Siward:

Depends what other gadgets you have. I have a Kenwood chef so my stick blender is just that. But if you don't have other gadgets you may want the multifunction packs.

The Kenwood tri-blade is good. The Andrew James tools get good Amazon reviews - I'm replacing my handheld mixer with one of theirs.
 bradholmes 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Siward:

The blender I'd reccommend is this one: http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Dynamic-Dynamix-Pack/CF257/ProductDetail.raction

I use these at work, albeit the much, much bigger version and I can tell you that Dynamic make kit that will outlive everything on this planet. I could probably puree bone and metal with the "Master" model I have at work and then use it as an outboard motor for my RIB when the apocalypse happens. As an example, yesterday I used the master to puree 100kg of apples for cider pressing in about 15 minutes.

Bamix are probably the best you'll get outside of a commercial unit. Around £100 including the different blades and worth the money. One of the important distinguishing features is that the stem is solid stainless steel rather than plastic and if you're primarily blending hot food this is important. Cheaper plastic stemmed blenders can melt,warp and discolour. Plus, when the main blade on the Bamix dulls, hey presto, buy a new blade attachment rather than whole blender. I wouldn't hesitate buying it if you want something that looks pretty too but otherwise it's Dynamic all the way.

HTH.
OP Siward 27 Oct 2013
In reply to bradholmes: worth a punt on the next one down/lighter use model, the mx050?
Not using for commercial use after all.

steve taylor 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Siward:

Philips HR1617 and Kenwood HB724 are current Which? Best Buys.

They are rated quite a lot better than all of the Bamix/Dualit models. My wife is very happy with the Philips we bought, on Which?s recommendation.
 Sharp 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Siward:

Decent stick blenders cost £100's, the ones in the £50-100 range in my opinion are just fancy versions of the cheap ones and not necessarily any better to use. I've used the tesco value types ones as well and they've been fine.

Currently got a Morphy Richards Accents (48924) which has a metal stick and head and you can get without the attachments for £20. Works a treat for blending soups, smoothies and mincing ingredients. Don't get the one with the attachments, you can do everything you need with just the stick and a flat bottomed jug.
 cliff shasby 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Siward: hi,ive had a few also,but the one i have now gets used plenty(most days) and its still going strong(prob had it 3 years)
its a phillips 600w with a on/off and turbo button,came with a whisk and a chopper thingy and a mixing container with lid.
returned my previous one coz it died within days..!
 bradholmes 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Siward: Yeah by all means, it just doesn't come with the different blade types, it's the standard four blade blender only though tbh that's all you need. You'll not find better for that price anywhere. Also, Nisbets do next day delivery and 30 day return policy, no questions asked. If you're not happy with it, they take it back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...