UKC

Paypal Scam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 27 Oct 2013

Urgent Action Requiredþ

Paypal (billing@1and1.co.uk)

Attachment

11:27

To:

Picture of Paypal

Outlook Active View

1 attachment (42.7 KB)

Download Account information-Paypal..html (42.7 KB)

Account information-Paypal..html

Download

Download as zip

PayPal

Dear,

We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.

We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal as quickly as possible.

How can you help ?
It's usually quite straight forward to take care of these things. Most of the time, we just need some more information about your account or latest transactions.

Download the attached document and open it with your browser.

Confirm that you are the account holder and follow the instructions.

Reference Number: PP-020-963-458-102

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

Copyright 2013 PayPal. All rights reserved PayPal Email ID PP7532

In reply to Timmd: I get these all the time...to the emaill account NOT being used with PP. if you look at where the email came from, it's usually something the Ebey.com/.co.uk so obviously not Ebay or Paypal.
 gethin_allen 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:
Not exactly the most convincing con.
 andrewmc 27 Oct 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

The 'from' address is very easy to spoof. Treat it like you would the 'return' address written on the back of a package...
Simos 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:

I am the wife of the late blah blah and inherited £3bn. I need to get the money out of my country, send me your account details for a 10% reward.
 Puppythedog 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd: The pope's behind this scam?
 sbc_10 27 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> (In reply to Timmd) The pope's behind this scam?

...and so is his wife.

OP Timmd 27 Oct 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> Not exactly the most convincing con.

If somebody doesn't have their brain engaged for some reason say tiredness itmight be easy enough to trick them.
 The Norris 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Forward it to spoof@paypal.com
mgco3 27 Oct 2013
In reply to The Norris:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Forward it to spoof@paypal.com

Total waste of time!! I forwarded some e mails to this department and received a reply confirming they were spoofs.. Turns out they were genuine e mails from Paypal!! Caused me no end of problems..

Dominion 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Timmd:

> If somebody doesn't have their brain engaged for some reason say tiredness itmight be easy enough to trick them.

Well, that is true.

However, most email clients will allow you to customise them to show more information about the email, some of which is impossible for the sender to fake

Unfortunately, most mail clients show you information that is easy to fake.

The email you quoted in your OP will not have been sent by paypal.co.uk

If mail clients actually showed the real sender address as well as the reply-to address (which is what is easily, and usually, spoofed) then 99% of scam emails would just get binned.

ie Why on earth would PayPal.co.uk be sending you an email from an address in taiwan, or russia, or canada (etc etc etc) or from a yahoo account, or from a hotmail account or from some other domain that is not actually paypal.co.uk

You can easily see all this information, but by default email clients hide all this from you...

Yes, originally, with lo-res 3x4 format screens, then only showing three headers was reasonable, but now nearly everyone has hi-res widescreen displays and they could easily add that one extra header that, if you have any common sense, is a really, really blatant clue that it is not from whom it is pretending to be from.

sender

why would ebay / paypal be sending me an email from as4235sdse <at> yahoo.cn (for example)

It's all there in the headers, and it's easy to see that, if you know it's there.

||-)
 andrewmc 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Dominion:

Both the 'from' and 'reply to' headers are easily spoofed. Email (specifically SMTP) dates from the 'good old days' and has no security features of any kind (except extra headers added for tracking these day).
 ByEek 28 Oct 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to Timmd) I get these all the time...

I never get them. Such is the joy of GMail.
 drolex 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Simos: Wow! Nobody is replying to that? Mrs. Simos, I am sorry for your loss but please send me your account details I will make a transfer asap. Fortunately, I have recently helped a Guinean prince and should receive lots of money very soon.

For those wanting to make fun of scammers I recommend the excellent 419eater.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...