UKC

RIP Lou Reed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Escher 27 Oct 2013
What a legend! Shall be listening to Transformer tonight. RIP
Tim Chappell 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

Great man, great music. He was only 71. That's seven years younger than my father. Crikey.
 Skip 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:
> What a legend! Shall be listening to Transformer tonight. RIP

RIP, but I'll go with some Velvet Underground

Timmd 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to Escher)
>
> Great man, great music. He was only 71. That's seven years younger than my father. Crikey.

5 years older than my mum was this year.

RIP to them both.
 Chris the Tall 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:
Always sad to hear of the death of a legend, though lets just say he lived life to full and well beyond it. I guess it was his liver, he was very ill with it earlier in the year.

Great stuff with VU - Heroin is a brilliant song - and of course solo with Transformer, but I also really rate New York, some great lyrics on songs like Dirty Boulevard
In reply to Escher:
6music have confirmed the news and are now playing "perfect Day" . What a song.
 toad 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Escher)
> Always sad to hear of the death of a legend, though lets just say he lived life to full and well beyond it.

This, I think
 Steve John B 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Skip:
> (In reply to Escher)
> [...]
>
> RIP, but I'll go with some Velvet Underground

+1

"Legend" is overused but well justified in this case.
In reply to Escher:
6music have changed their program to pay tribute to him
 Andy Clarke 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve John B:

A true original and one of the decisive influences on much of the rock music I hold most dear. Listening to the Velvets' 3rd and toasting the great man's memory as I write.
In reply to Escher:
Bringing back memories of my hall of residence days, when my next door neighbour helped my musical education by playing nothing but VU and Lou Reed, and dressing just like him too. Odd to think I could be a fan of The Jesus and Mary Chain and Joy Division, and be completely unaware of VU.
 Nathan Adam 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher: Can't say i have ever been a fan other than listening to Perfect Day, but hearing the news has made me listen to the Velvet Undergrounds first album, and I can understand the long lasting appeal. Its a very good piece of music !
In reply to Escher: That should be the Christmas number one sorted then.

One of the great influencers. Modern music would be a very different place without him.

T.
 Steve John B 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to Escher) That should be the Christmas number one sorted then.

The X Factor winner is covering Perfect Day? F*ck that...
 JamButty 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher: yep sad. playing transformer now whilst I do some work o n the PC.
RIP Lou....
 Blue Straggler 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

Never mind the music, here's the wit and wisdom. Love his film appearances

youtube.com/watch?v=xduERw9BSns&

He remained iconoclastic and challenging - I was always happier to have him do musical projects that I didn't personally like but which were clearly unique and original, than if he'd simply made good accessible rock music ad infinitum. He ploughed his own furrow.
Removed User 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Sad Loss.

"Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"
Removed User 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:from his absolute masterpiece, Berlin-
youtube.com/watch?v=7TOlgGUcWaE&
A few years ago he refused to allow Perfect Day to be used by one of those programs- I think it might have been Susan Boyle. I wish more musicians had his principals
 JLS 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

...And something flickered for an minute... And then it vanished and was gone...

"Romeo had Juliet" from New York, 1989

youtube.com/watch?v=0_8-Fm1vfw0&
In reply to JLS:
Listening to that album now - Halloween parade particularly poignant
 robert-hutton 27 Oct 2013
In reply to.scher:
Great singer & song writer, the VU and Reed and Cale have been the sound track to much of my life
RIP
 Chambers 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher: Closest thing I ever had to a father. Just got home from a fabulous SPGB Autumn Delegates Meeting in London and heard the news. Three hour Lou playlist being built now. 'Magic and Loss' - his most poignant album - is going to be featuring heavily, I suspect. Life's a bittersweet thing, no?
 Mick Ward 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User:

> Sad Loss.

Very.

> "Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"

'...such a perfect day... glad I spent it with you.'

Mick
ice.solo 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

reed was the real deal. cool and out there and innovative far beyond most. different motivations. when iggy pop cites your demise as 'devestating' you know youre beyond most.
my thoughts are with laurie anderson, what a couple. imagine weekend breakfasts at their place! brilliance squared.
the likes of reed are few and far between.
 ThunderCat 27 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Very sad.
 andy hunter 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

what he and jimi hendrix were doing with music in 1967 was outstanding - in its own right, but also compared to almost everything else. The banana album makes sgt pepper sound like matt munro.
ice.solo 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

the faraway, so close scene

youtube.com/watch?v=i7uMY3NmDG4&
wcdave 28 Oct 2013
In reply to robert-hutton:
> In reply to.scher:
> Great singer & song writer, the VU and Reed and Cale have been the sound track to much of my life
> RIP

Yep, same here. The debut album is still my favourite of all time, and one I could listen to over and over. Didn't much go for his solo stuff, other than Transformer, but the Velvets in my opinion are the most influential band in rock history. The whole of the post-punk scene was based on the them.

A genuine sad loss.

Blue Straggler 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:

It is heartening that it is a high priority piece of news on the Radio 2 bulletins given that they are only a few minutes long. Top headline last night and still given a fair amount of airtime this morning.
 Al Evans 28 Oct 2013
In reply to andy hunter:
> (In reply to Escher)
>
> what he and jimi hendrix were doing with music in 1967 was outstanding - in its own right, but also compared to almost everything else. The banana album makes sgt pepper sound like matt munro.

I take your sentiments, but nothing makes Sgt Peppers sound like Matt Munro.
RIP Lou.
 Goucho 28 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Pursued by a bear)
> [...]
>
> The X Factor winner is covering Perfect Day? F*ck that...

I wonder if they know it's about heroin
 Yanis Nayu 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Goucho:
> (In reply to Steve John B)
> [...]
>
> I wonder if they know it's about heroin

There was a debate about it on R2 today. I'm in no way placed to discuss his influence on modern music, but I don't see any glamour or kudos attached to drug use and find it a little sad that other people do.
 Offwidth 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

The banana album sort of does though. Sgt Pepper pushed the quality of mainstream pop. Banana influenced all sorts of interesting stuff and only rippled on mainstream pop a lot later.
 Goucho 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Goucho)
> [...]
>
> There was a debate about it on R2 today. I'm in no way placed to discuss his influence on modern music, but I don't see any glamour or kudos attached to drug use and find it a little sad that other people do.

Not quite sure whether your comment is generalized, or in response to my after my post - the was meant ironically by the way.

Yanis Nayu 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Goucho: It was a general point.
 John H Bull 28 Oct 2013
Of course it's about heroin.

John H Bull 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher:
New Sensations is my Reed solo favourite (almost up there with the Velvets stuff) and New York is a brilliant LP. Saw a slide show by Big Ron where he played it, dedicating it to 'any hippies out there'. Reed was no hippy, but the song has an undeniably optimistic road/freedom vibe....now, where's that vinyl copy...
Removed User 28 Oct 2013

I'm not sure where you the think the Kudos is in the drug use that surrounded his music and his life.

For me a lot of his songs take me inside the lives and the heads of people on the extremes of society and it's the insights that he gives that I find utterly brilliant. Further I can't see how songs like Heroin or Waiting for my Man glamourise drugs. They just tell it like it is.
 Chris the Tall 28 Oct 2013

>
> There was a debate about it on R2 today. I'm in no way placed to discuss his influence on modern music, but I don't see any glamour or kudos attached to drug use and find it a little sad that other people do.

Listening to Heroin, Waiting for the Man and Perfect Day didn't make me want to take drugs, in much the same way as Walk on the Wild Side didn't make me want to be a transvestite hooker. Why do people think that mentioning something equates to glamourising it?
 Micky J 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher: Picture the scene driving into Buoux in Dave Peggs Skoda back in the day !! New York on the cassette !!!
 Micky J 28 Oct 2013
In reply to death drop: may have been a compact disk !
In reply to Escher:
I'm gutted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...