UKC

Super Quasar/Macpac Olympus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 27 Oct 2013
We're in the market for a new tent, to replace a 22 year old Quasar that's still going reasonably strong. We're looking for something of similar size or fractionally bigger (to accommodate two of us plus hound with sticky-out legs), and we're thinking about the Super Quasar. Does anyone in UKCland have one? The only reviews I can find are from years ago, and it seems from comments on here that Terra Nova have had quality issues in the last two or three years.

The other tent we're considering is a Macpac Olympus - my main question about them is about how the three pole 'tunnel design' is in comparison to the geodesic dome of the Quasar. Anyone out there have one of these?

The tent would be used for a mix of car camping and backpacking in the UK and Europe - use in snow is not that likely but we want something that will be robust enough to manage it if we want to do a spot of winter camping in Scotland.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
 d_b 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have spent a few weeks in a macpac olympus, but don't own one. It's a pretty solid tent if it is pitched properly, but as with all tunnels it is reliant on having good anchors. Inside it is nice and spacious as 2 person tents go. If you don't absolutely positively need a freestanding tent it's a good choice.

Another one maybe worth considering is an Ortik Jetstream. They have steeper sides than most geodesics, which results in a lot more usable space inside the tent. There's a picture of a jetstream 2 being used in properly crap winter weather in my gallery IIRC (too lazy to look
 TobyA 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I'm still regularly using a 12 year old Terra Nova tent which has been excellent, but I agree that there have been lots and lots of moans about particularly Quasars made in recent years on the forums. It does seem like more than bad luck when consistently people are reporting similar types of problems.

If you are considering an investment tent - i.e. spending lots of money on it and hoping it will last you a decade or two I'd consider Hilleberg. They are horribly expensive but all the ones I've stayed in have been great, and its very rare you hear about anything going wrong with them. Tunnel tents if pitched by sensible experienced campers are incredibly strong, and lighter for the space than geodesics. They're not great if you camp in a very rocky area (coastal areas round me are often endless slabs of smooth granite making tent pegs pretty useless!) but in the UK at least that's normally not a massive problem.
 TobyA 28 Oct 2013
 d_b 28 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

That's the one.

We were mostly staying in cabins. A week and a bit in "Svensby Tursenter" and a few days in the luxurious "Sorheim Brygge" in Lyngseidet.

That pic was taken just below Lille Peppartinden, as we were planning to head up that & Store Peppartinden. Unfortunately the weather crapped out big time and we couldn't get past about 600m without being blown over.

We were on snowshoes rather than skis, as I was the only person in the group who had done any skiing at all. They were pretty effective overall, although skis would have been nice for the decents.

More pics from that trip here: http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2013/lyngen/
OP Tall Clare 28 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

We did briefly think about Hilleberg but we can't justify the cost for what we need.

I should have mentioned this in the OP, but the tent we choose needs to be available through Needlesports too - our wedding list involved vouchers for there to acquire a new tent...
In reply to Tall Clare:

You could save yourself serious money and get an Alpkit Kangri instead? The Olympus was on my list at the time and the only real sacrifice is ca. 0.4 Kg on the Olympus, which is negligible if you're car camping, (and it's not that heavy between two either anyway!). It comes well reviewed, and I wrote a few words about it here also:

http://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/gear-pt-ii-thoughts-on-my-hardw...
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

Thanks for this - I'll have a look. As mentioned above (though not mentioned in the OP - d'oh)we're aiming to purchase from Needlesports though... And we're keen to be able to backpack as well as car camping. The Ultra Quasar was a consideration for its lightweight nature but we're not confident of how robust it would be over a long period.
 d_b 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

One other thing in favour of macpac tents - the material has excellent UV resistance and lasts practically forever. I have an *ancient* minaret, which still looks pretty much brand new.
 marsbar 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: It may be worth considering getting a different tent to car camp? FWIW I have never had a problem with Vango, and my experiences with friends Terra Novas are as you mention, the older ones are great, but the more recent ones not so much.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ah, my bad, I completely missed that!
In reply to marsbar:

We already have a Wild Country Khamsin for car camping as a family - and a TN Voyager for 'cosy' camping. A single 2-3 man tent to cover what our elderly Quasar does is what we're looking for.
 Solaris 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have a much-used Olympus and really like it. It's a bit taller than some Quasars (don't know about Super, specifically), the porch system is good, and as someone else said, the fabric is more UV resistant than some manufacturers' (eg Terra Nova, last time I had one of their tents).

We walked halfway across Iceland this summer with an Olympus and it was adequately strong. The thing about the three pole tunnel design is that there is actually more supported fabric in the sidewall than there is on some geodesics (eg the Quasar, last time I looked), and although they peg out very well, pitching end on is of benefit if possible. Ours pitches all in one, outer first which is an advantage when it's pouring with rain, but they may have changed the design.

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, btw.
In reply to Solaris:

Thanks for this - very useful. We actually got married just over a week ago but the reception was this last weekend.
 alasdair19 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: unless things have changed the ultra is pretty solid and apart from the flysheet same as standard Quasar and if the fly dies (UV rays...) you can replace easily enough. go british (ish) its not as if the mac pacs are made in NZ...

congrats!
 Denni 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Shame Needlesports don't do a TNF VE25, excellent piece of kit. Used to split it between my wife and I for wild camping, bombproof, very spacious and excellent in all weathers but excels in the snow.

Also been perfect for us plus small daughter out the back of the car on campsites all round Europe in all weathers.

Ours is still as good as day 1 and is 15 years old, love it.

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-ve-25-tent-3-person-4-season
In reply to Denni:

One of my friends has a VE25 that's been used all over - Himalaya, Bolivia, Scotland, etc - and it does seem like a great bit of kit. The current Quasar is green and we're thinking that's probably a good colour for what we want though...
 Timmd 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Denni)

> The current Quasar is green and we're thinking that's probably a good colour for what we want though...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

()
 ben b 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Hey TC, and congratulations. Hope you had a fine time in Torridon and the midges were held at bay.

We have a WC Family Khamsin for car camping with the kids and occasional short carry and our old Quasar reached the end of its natural days a couple of years back. After much research it was replaced with... a Macpac Olympus.

Partly because I'm supporting the 'local' guys (albeit manufactured overseas) but more because it is a good combo for weight/space; it's been pitched in reasonably windy (other tents flattened) conditions without any issue and also in torrential rain without any issues (but not wind and rain simultaneously to the same degree). It's a good size, the front porch is big enough, and the inner/fly together thing works well in NZ. It's light and airy, reasonably ventilated, and the kids love it so much they now sleep in it and we have the FK.

Downsides: the rear entrance isn't high or wide and the back porch tiny to non-existent, certainly not enough for a dog bigger than a Chihuahua; the arrangement of the front porch means an extra door/porch pegging point should be added for versatility. The flaps over the door zips get zipped in with regularity (why do people still put them on?). One of the internal suspension points came off when an enthusiastic 7 year old tried to use it to help him get out.

If we had the money I probably would have gone Hilleberg but I have a mortgage already.

In summary, a perfectly good tent with no major flaws and still excellent in windy weather, even if not perfectly pitched. Plenty of room (more porch space than the Quasar, but only one of them..).

HTH

b
 ben b 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Forgot to mention the Olympus in green is very inconspicuous; gold looks good in the photos though!

b
 Siward 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: a bit left field but how about lightwave tents? UK company, correspondingly expensive but top quality. I have a one man super light thing but it is honestly comparable to my hilleberg nallo in terms of quality (although I did buy the top of range flysheet rather then the lower spec model).

Solaris 29 Oct 2013
In reply to ben b:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> Downsides: the rear entrance isn't high or wide and the back porch tiny to non-existent, certainly not enough for a dog bigger than a Chihuahua...

Macpac change the design from time to time, and I'm not sure when you got yours, but ours (? 2009) has a retractable rear inner floor. This means that you can have more porch area if you need it, or more inner space if that's what you want. Even with the floor retracted it's not huge - though in combination with the front porch, we've found it adequate on extended trips.

I agree that it's not a particularly high opening at the back, but again, we've found it OK. (I am 5' 10", btw.)

Re fabrics, I think some colours are more prone to UV damage than others. I can't remember which are worse (? red), but I bought a yellow Olympus on the basis of the advice I was given.
OP Tall Clare 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Solaris:

For context, we're lanky - I'm 5'10 and Mr TC is 6'4 (and the dog, who would most definitely not stoop to sleeping in a porch when she could sleep on Mr TC or I, is a pointer who prefers to sleep with legs stuck in all directions).
 Solaris 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Well, what can I say...?!
claverhouse 30 Oct 2013
I have an Alpkit Kangri and it is a great tent, superb at the price, but more akin in size to a standard TN Quasar. You might want to look at the Alpkit Zhota for a bigger option, at £450 it's still cheaper than a Quasar.
 Solaris 30 Oct 2013
In reply to claverhouse:

But Clare told us on Monday that it needs to be available from Needlesports...
claverhouse 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Solaris:
Well that's what I get for scanning the thread! She can of course go down to Needlesports and hang around till she sees someone about to buy a tent and sell them her vouchers so she has cash
 Siward 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Solaris: Doh! So she did.

In which case comparing a super quasar with a Macpac Olympus is a bit apples and oranges isn't it? A super quasar is more like the macpac plateau or aspire which needlesports sell- a very full on mountain tent.

I'd consider a terra nova hyperspace, essentially a 3 man quasar. Plenty of room to spread out and for dogs etc. a mate has the 4 man version and it served him well for something like 15 years now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...