UKC

Ice and skiing trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LakesWinter 28 Oct 2013
Hello

I'd like to combine a skiing trip with some ice climbing, probably around the end of December. Where would people recommend as a good venue? Can anyone recommend any accommodation too?

Thanks
OP LakesWinter 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: bump!
 sam@work 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: les deux alpes ? serre chavalier ? Chamonix ?
 dunnyg 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: rockies? Somewhere around Banff?
 AG 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: gressoney?... plenty skiing nearby.
 Martin Bennett 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:

I'd say La Grave. Lots of ice climbs of all lengths and grades, some of them virtually roadside. The ski-ing available from the La Grave lift is somewhat esoteric (if you're a fully competent off-piste skier of ultra steep couloirs it's paradise) but you have a very pleasant, easy and sunny small area nearby at Le Chazelet and you're in reasonable driving distance of major ski resorts - Alpes d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes, for instance.

The other obvious choice is Cogne. The village skilift only gets you a very shady limited area but half an hour away, at the bottom of the twisty road up to Cogne, is Aosta with the ski resort of Pila. An hour or two's drive gets you to e.g. Courmayeur, La Thuile/La Rosiere, Gressoney/Champoluc, Cervinia,
In reply to sam@work: So Serre Chevailier is near Ceiliac and La Grave from what I understand? Roughly how far if you dont mind me asking - my geography of that part of the alps is somewhat iffy!
 nniff 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:

Alpe d'Huez?
In reply to nniff: Is that the place where some routes are by the side of a ski piste? If so, it could be a good option.

What guidebook would I need for those places roud the Ecrins?
 oliverk 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:

I seem to remember it took us roughly an hour to drive from Serre Chavalier to Ceillac, and that La Grave was on the way. Someone will probably correct me though.
 Simon4 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: FYI, Ceiliac is pretty reliable, being higher than other areas but is rather limited (though good), so when it is in nick but elsewhere is not, it can get mobbed.

In the same area, on the other side of the Briancon valley (sorry, I have forgotten the river name), are the Freissinieres and Fournel valleys, which have more areas. Note, these can both be at risk of avalanche, both on the routes themselves and on the approaches, which is not very likely at Ceillac.
 David Rose 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: Serre Chevalier is on the far side of the Col de Lauteret, one of the highest passes in the Alps, from La Grave. Combining the two might be risky.

What about Chamonix? In December the accessible areas like Cremerie should be good, as well as mountain routes in easily skiable places such as the Tacul. And while the piste mileage is not so huge, there is no better skiing anywhere.
 Martin Bennett 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to sam@work) So Serre Chevailier is near Ceiliac and La Grave from what I understand? Roughly how far if you dont mind me asking - my geography of that part of the alps is somewhat iffy!

Yes, if ski-ing is high on the agenda as opposed to just summat for a rest day, Serre Chevalier would be a good option. Just up the road to the West is La Grave (assuming the Col de Lauteret road is open, and they clear it very quickly). The guide for here is Cascades Oisans aux 6 vallees Tome II.

As someone has said Ceillac is perhaps an hour South from there, with Fournel and Freissinieres on the way. The guidebook for these is Glace En Cascade... Briançonnais-Argentièrois-Embrunais by R.Borgis - P.Turin

Or stay in Briancon maybe - accom might be cheaper there as it's not a ski resort proper, though has direct chairlift access to the Serre Chevalier circuit. Nearer to Ceillac; further from La Grave.

Simon4 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett: Quite good and reasonable accom in Argentière-la-Bessée, at gites :

http://www.moulin-papillon.com/

Is very easy going, the owners are climbers and will likely know about conditions, also food is good.
ice.solo 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:

thats japan for many people. probably cheaper, guaranteed more miniskirts
 Martin Bennett 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Simon4:
> (In reply to Martin Bennett) Quite good and reasonable accom in Argentière-la-Bessée, at gites :
>
> http://www.moulin-papillon.com/
>
> Is very easy going, the owners are climbers and will likely know about conditions, also food is good.

Yes, went there a few years ago, but had a bit of a falling out when she'd double booked to fit some of her chums in and relegated some of us to an annexe despite our early booking and assurances we'd have the place to ourselves.

walts4 29 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to LakesWinter)
>
> guaranteed more miniskirts

Wow, even in the depths of winter, I'm impressed...

ice.solo 29 Oct 2013
In reply to walts4:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> Wow, even in the depths of winter, I'm impressed...

ohh yes. and the boots get higher to accomodate it.
 GarethSL 29 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: Go north Hemsedal, Oppdal, Lyngen, Tromsø...
Slugain Howff 29 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:

Canmore - Banff - Lake Louise.

Easy to do both, climb and ski, in the same day.

S
 Simon4 29 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

> ohh yes. and the boots get higher to accomodate it.

Accommodate what?
 mugglewump 29 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: Saint Anton area (Austria) Vehicle needed, awesome ice and brilliant single day tours
 robin popham 06 Nov 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: I went to la grave last year and ended up climbing in alp d'huez a couple of times. It's a good ski resort and has plenty of climbing not far from the village. As a purpose built ski resort there are loads of ski apartments available , although go through a French company and save a fortune over the English sites. I was planning to take my son back with me next year.
mikebarter387 15 Nov 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: I think that for quality of both events you can't beat Canada. Some of the best ice climbing in the world and pretty good skiing for all skill levels. I doubt you will easily do both in a day. Except for Louise falls and cascade it really isn't possible. However if you wanted to ski sunshine or lake Louise and climb the next there is no shortage. If it's your first trip just the classics, weeping wall, polar circus, proffesors, etc will keep you busy. Each ski hill lease area is so large if it was in Europe would be a country.
Add good beer, direct flight to Calgary, freindly locals and a version of english you might understand (easier then welsh)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...