UKC

Garmin GPS as an all rounder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peris Roberts 28 Oct 2013
I am looking at purchasing a Garmin GPS and was wondering if anyone had any preference/advice for an all round model?

To put it into context, I am a mid level rock climber and freelance instructor, an alpinist and a ski tourer. I travel with my job both at sea and on land also.

I have thus far survived on a garmin 401 wrist GPS but as I am looking at becoming IML/MIA/W ML qualified hopefully by next year and perhaps more besides I want to invest in a model that is simple yet interactive, easily transferable into Europe and futureproof - a lot to ask I recognise but nevertheless I pose the question.

I am after a garmin as I can qualify for an AMI deal but any other options entertained.

your help/advice much appreciated.

Peris
 steelbru 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Peris Roberts:
What do you want it to do ? The more features you want the more pricy they become. And some will say a phone ( in a waterproof case ) can do it all these days ( especially if your phone has a removable battery, ie you can carry spares, ie not an iPhone )
- do you just want a grid ref ?
- do you want to be able to set up a route in advance with various waypoints and let the GPS guide you around the route ?
- do you want to be able to load OS ( or equivalent in another country ) maps onto it, ie a large colour screen ?
etc, etc

It's a few years since I bought mine, after having had a Garmin eTrex I sold it and got a Satmap - the Satmap was so much easier to use than the Garmin who's menu system was very confusing, but Garmin may well have updated their user interface since then.
Satmap also has nice big buttons, easy to use with winter gloves.
 frqnt 28 Oct 2013
With similar objectives; I opted for a Garman GPS62s and it has proved itself as a reliable investment over the weekend, albeit suffering the usual electronic device battery troubles in sub-zero temperatures.

I expect this unit would serve you well.
kmillar99 29 Oct 2013
I've been looking at gps devices at the moment as well. There's a great deal on the Satmap Active 10 plus at the moment - £195 with accessories and a 1:50k for 1/2 of the UK.
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/discounts/LDWA_Promo_2013-10-01_1230.pdf

The only thing that puts me off is the price of the 1:25k maps/international maps.
 steelbru 29 Oct 2013
Yep, you should be able to pick up Satmap Active 10's at discount, as there is a new Active 12 out now.

Here's a review of the differences http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/blog/satmap-active-12-preview/
 Foolow Mike 29 Oct 2013
We have a range of GPS devices that use for teaching: Garmin Etrex 10, Garmin Oregon 450, Garmin 60, SatMap10. As an IML I only carry a GPS on occasions and then it's the basic Garmin EtrexH. Would only use it to give an exact location of where I am and do a "take me to function." Have written a brief blog post about which GPS at: http://peaknavigationcourses.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Which%20GPS%3F

Hope this helps

mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...